It's OK To Be White, It's Not OK To Have White Pride

Latino pride, black pride, gay pride, Asian pride — but not white pride?

2583
flickr

With the election of our new president, it appears as if racism is at an all-time high since the start of the 21st century. Since the beginning of the Black Lives Matter movement, many Caucasians are up in arms. Why? Many individuals believe that cohabitation with other ethnic groups is infringing on their livelihood. Their argument holds the point that the lives of African-Americans are not the only ones that matter. This I can agree with. There is not one dominant race that should "matter" more over another. We should ALL matter. However, the basis of their argument is that white people have pride, which should be accounted for and recognized.

This, however, I don't agree with.

Although this is a very touchy subject, I don't believe that white people should be prideful. Latino pride, black pride, gay pride, Asian pride, but not white pride?

White people can not hold pride in their hearts because they have not overcome any sort of oppression. Latinos, African-Americans, Gays, and Asians are going through, or have overcome, oppression forced onto them by the people of this nation.

Have white people ever been oppressed as an ethnic group? No, they have not.

This is why the so-called "double standard" argument circulating within the media today holds no merit. African-Americans are allowed to have pride for being apart of their race because they have overcome over 200-300 years of oppression. As a modern nation, we should cherish the fact that African-Americans have overcome so much. We should not point the finger and say "Well, what about MY pride?"

White people have been the dominant race since the birth of this nation. Having egotism about a race that continuously suppresses other ethnic groups is not something to be boisterous about.

Can individuals be proud to call themselves American? Yes, absolutely. However, holding pride about being white is like waving your privilege flag in the air for all other ethnic groups to see.

White pride is another expression of disguising racism in America.

Waving around the "white card" because your upset that white people are not the dominant race anymore is not what America needs right now. As Americans, we need to band together and help those who are being oppressed. As someone who is white, I see no issue with helping other ethnic groups fight for their natural rights within this country. I believe it is my duty to assist in any way that I can to help move America forward.

White pride is a movement which, in my opinion, should be abolished in America. Although, I understand this is not an easy "cut and dry" situation since America is a democratic society in which everyone has the right to free speech. However, as Americans, we should focus on "American pride" rather than dividing ourselves further through our different ethnicities.