Where To Eat On The North Fork

Where To Eat On The North Fork

Trust me, I won't steer you in the wrong direction.

183
Where To Eat On The North Fork

I don't know about you, but I love dining out. Sure, cooking is fun, but there's also something really nice about having other people do it for you. Also, if you're like me and you like eating good food (but can't necessarily cook it), going to a restaurant where professional chefs feed you is a great alternative. I live on the North Fork of Long Island, and while we have many local restaurants, these are my budget-friendly favorites that I highly recommend giving a try!

1. Lucharitos

Lucharitos is located on Main Street in Greenport, NY. If you're familiar with Greenport, I'm sure you've seen this place or at least have heard of it. If you're not familiar with Greenport, you'll still be able to find this place very easily! Lucharitos (or Luchas as the locals call it) is a Taqueria and Tequila Bar. The menu features delicious apps, tacos, platos, nachos, quesadillas, burritos (which are massive), salads and wings. There are a lot of things to choose from so you'll never feel limited. Luchas is also super well known for their drinks. I'm not 21 yet, so I can't tell you that I've personally tried any. But, I have heard that their margaritas and mojitos are KILLER. If you like this kind of food and a friendly atmosphere, Lucharitos is definitely the place to go. You'll be able to see how popular this place is by how packed the restaurant constantly is!

2. Founders Tavern

Over in Southold, you'll find Founders Tavern right on Route 25 (also known as the Main Road) in the center of town. This tavern offers a great mix of pub and restaurant food! The restaurant is separated from the bar by a wall, so you can enjoy dinner without necessarily having to listen to the bar crowd! The menu offers a good variety of apps, soups, build your own burger, different steak cuts, wraps, chicken dishes, seafood, and sandwiches. My personal favorites at the Tavern are the French Onion Soup, Tavern Salad, Asian Tuna Wrap, Grilled Skirt Steak and the Creme Brulee for dessert. If you're looking for some easy, good food, Founders is the way to go.

3. Hellenic Snack Bar & Grill

Out in East Marion, you'll come across Hellenic Snack Bar & Grill right next to Island's End Golf Course. This is the BEST Greek food I've ever had. In the past few years, we've had a Greek restaurant move into the shopping center in Mattituck, but in my opinion, it can't compare to the food from Hellenic. I have had souvlaki before, but typically I just love to get a beef gyro. I've also always loved the spanakopita and the baklava at Hellenic. Just recently, I've gone to a huge Greek Festival, and even after having a gyro there, Hellenic still makes the best! If you like Greek food, be sure to make a stop at Hellenic, and grab yourself a glass of freshly made lemonade while you're there!

4. Country Corner Cafe

Country Corner Cafe in Southold is my favorite breakfast spot. It doubles as both a Luncheonette and Ice Cream Parlor, and serves a wide variety of diner classics. I've been here many times over many years, and I almost always get the same thing: Spinach & Feta omelet, white toast, home fries and corned beef hash. Whether it's 9:00 AM, or 6:00 PM, I always love getting breakfast at Country Corner Cafe. A second favorite of mine is the Fish & Chips basket for lunch. If you're looking for reasonably priced (and delicious) food and a friendly atmosphere, the Country Corner Cafe is a must-stop!

5. Salamander's

Salamander's On Front is located right on Front Street in Greenport. It's located next to the Market, which is a health foods market. Just recently, I went to Salamander's for my friend's 19th birthday, and I had a very delicious meal! I started off with sweet potato and shrimp fritters, and then for my main course had an oyster roll. Man, was that delicious. Salamander's is well known for it's fried chicken, which I personally haven't had in years, but they sell a lot of it, so I have no doubt that it's still delicious! If you like fried chicken or want to try some of our local seafood, stop into Salamander's on Front.

6. Elbow East

Elbow East is located a block away from Kenney's Beach in Southold. Elbow East serves a majority of local seafood, and has numerous types of steaks to choose from. Also, their marinated burgers are a must! Elbow East has been in Southold for as long as I can remember, and our family has always enjoyed going there! We love to eat seafood (and who doesn't love steaks), so this type of restaurant is perfect for us! It's a great environment with a friendly staff, and the food is great!

7. Jan's Chinese Food

Who doesn't love Chinese food? I mean, I know I love the occasional order of dumplings and sesame chicken! When people visit the North Fork, I know they're not typically looking to order Chinese food, but at the same time, they might want something quick, easy, and yummy for dinner that won't cost a fortune. There are many Chinese food places on the North Fork, but none of them compare to Jan's in Mattituck! Located in Mattituck Plaza, Jan's Chinese Food is the most amazing Chinese food out here! It's in a prime location, right next to the Mattituck Cinema. Everybody goes for food there before they go to the movies! Many people might think all Chinese food tastes the same, but one bite from Jan's, and you'll immediately taste the difference. I personally recommend the shrimp dumplings and sesame chicken.

8. Original Michaelangelo

Here's the thing about Original Michaelangelo- we're lucky enough to have it not only in one town, but in three towns! There is an Original Michaelangelo in Southold, Cutchogue, and Mattituck. And each of them are so easy to find, as they're all located on Route 25! Michaelangelo's is an amazing Italian place. Whether you're going to sit in the dining room for dinner, grabbing a quick slice of pizza, or having them cater your event, the food is always delicious! It's so convenient to stop in and grab one of their specialty slices. My favorite slice is the Crispino, which is tomato, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers and fresh basil. My sister's favorite is the barbeque chicken slice, which never disappoints! Next time you're passing through any of these towns, stop in at the Original Michaelangelo for a slice of pizza!

9. Crabby Jerry's

Over in Greenport, right next to the well-known Claudio's Clam Bar, is an awesome restaurant named Crabby Jerry's. While many people enjoy the party scene and priciness of Claudio's, Crabby Jerry's serves amazing food and is great for families and people not wanting to spend a fortune. There is a bar there, so you still can get drinks. Crabby Jerry's offers all of it's seating out on the dock it's located on. To order, you walk up to the window and pick out what you like and pay, and then they'll call your number and you'll grab your food and sit down to eat! You probably can assume this from it's name and location, but Crabby Jerry's offers mainly seafood. There are a few other options, but if you want a restaurant where you can eat some seafood while literally sitting on the water, this is the place to be!

10. Sophie's Rest

There's an interesting history behind Sophie's Rest in Southold. The restaurant was built some time before 1858, and was sold numerous times before ending up in the hands of Sophie Furmankiewicz in the mid 1960's. Formally named The Willowmere Inn, the restaurant was known to locals just as "Sophie's." Sophie made hand-spun thin crust pizza's for people who called to order them (only if she liked the people). Eventually, Sophie passed away, and her daughter operated the bar for a few years until selling it to the current owners. The owners valued the establishment, and kept almost all original features in place. Sophie's is still known for it's thin crust pizza, but features a lot of other things as well. In addition to the bar, the restaurant has burgers, sandwiches, baskets, apps, salads, and seafood. My personal favorite is the scallop bacon ranch quesadilla. If you're looking for a good time, stop in to Sophie's Rest and you won't be disappointed.

11. Southold Fish Market

I know what you're thinking- who eats at a fish market? More people than you'd ever imagine! Besides selling the most local batch of seafood around here, Southold Fish Market has a bar and restaurant on one side of the market! And yes, that means that most (if not all) of the food they serve is our local, fresh seafood! Many people wouldn't think to go into a fish market for lunch or dinner, but if you're looking for a good meal with super fresh seafood, Southold Fish Market is the way to go! It's located in Southold, right before you enter Greenport. I personally know the owner, and I promise you that it's a friendly atmosphere and delicious food. You really can't go wrong with this place!

12. Magic Fountain

Of course, it's only right to end this list with the absolute BEST ice cream place on all of the North Fork. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Magic Fountain! Magic Fountain is located right on Route 25 in Mattituck. You can't miss it- it used to be a Dairy Queen way back when, so the DQ girl still sits on top of the building. Magic Fountain makes all of it's own ice cream, and includes some very unique flavors as well. I've had the coconut avocado, sweet corn, and nutty rose ice cream, and while they might sound bizarre, they are absolutely scrumptious. Some of the most well known flavors are Cookie Monster, which is bright blue (like Cookie himself) and has chocolate chip cookies and oreo's in it, and Almond Joy, which is coconut ice cream with chocolate covered almonds. They're both amazing. If you're out on the North Fork, you CANNOT leave without stopping by Magic Fountain for some of the best ice cream you've ever had!

I'm not forcing you to try any of these places, but being the foodie that I am, I definitely highly recommend giving them a try next time you're on the North Fork. I like almost everything- there's really no food that scares me. I mean, I've tried octopus sashimi (which wasn't very good by the way), but I tried it. Food comes in all different shapes and sizes, and I think you really won't ever know if you actually hate something unless you give it a shot. I've chosen my favorite spots to go to out here where I live, and I mean it when I say that none of these places are scary. They don't serve weird food. I'm not asking you to try octopus sashimi. They're all normal and very nice establishments that will provide you with a very delicious meal. Don't just take my word for it though- try it yourself. And then share the yumminess with others!