What to expect for college seniors
Education

what to expect when you're about to be a senior in college...

A message to incoming college seniors.

8

Unlike high school seniors, incoming college seniors can come in a variety of forms. Some incoming college seniors are entering their fourth year of college, graduating in "perfect timing", while others are entering into their fifth, sixth, even seventh years of college. Some came to college fresh out of high school and are aged 21-22, while others entered the work force after high school or took breaks, are parents or are furthering their education.

Despite the many differences amongst incoming college seniors, all of them can expect the following similarities:

1. You're going to feel like you're dying.

No matter your major - education, nursing, business, engineering - one truth remains, every major has a tough final year. Between various certification exams or state board exams that you need to pass in order to prove that you did in fact learn something in your 4+ years of higher education and 400 level major-specific college courses and their corresponding final exams, you are going to drown in studying, assignments, and exams.

2. You may not feel motivated.

"You're almost done!", "Only one more year!", "Can't wait to see you walk across that stage in May!". Thanks, Grandma. But I really don't think I can handle this right now.

Due to the heavy amounts of work that accumulate in the final year in addition to the stress that builds up in knowing that this is the final home stretch, that can make actually completing the work, taking the time to study, and maintaining motivation extremely difficult.

3. It will all be worth it.

All of the hard work, sweat, and tears will be well worth it when you pass those certification and final exams, walk across that stage, and get your diploma. Graduating from college is no easy feat - if it was, everyone would do it. So keep that in mind, incoming college seniors, when you're ripping your hair out over course work, stressing over exams, and losing the last drop of motivation. You CAN do this, you WILL do this, and we are all in this together!