When Your Little Sister Turns 18

When Your Little Sister Turns 18

An open letter to my younger sister as she becomes a legal adult.

915
When Your Little Sister Turns 18
Tim Reilly

Here comes a day when we all turn the ever-anticipated 18 years old, but when it comes time for a younger sibling to turn 18, then that's a different story. As my only younger sister enters adulthood this week, I wanted to congratulate her, but also offer her some advice.

Dear baby sister,
You're tuning 18 this week! Happy birthday and congratulations on finally becoming an adult! I still can't believe it, and I know mom can't even more. It seems like you were just 10, and then entering middle school, and then entering high school. I know you've been looking forward to it for a while, but as you'll find out, it's not necessarily all it's cracked up to be. Having been an adult for almost four years now, I want to offer you some of my advice on things I've learned so far.

Even though you're now a legal adult, that doesn't mean that you're completely independent yet. Mom and dad still pay for almost everything of yours, well except for gas maybe, I'm assuming, take advantage of that. Once you get to college, you'll have to pay for everything by yourself, except for when they come to visit. So when they do come to visit, take advantage of that. Take them grocery shopping with you, so they can help you pay for at least some of your groceries/cosmetics/everyday needs and ease your burden some. Even if they go without you having to ask them, be grateful to them for it, because they aren't required to do anything to help you at that point.

I know you're going to Michigan next year, but you may come to find that you don't really like it there/you don't enjoy it, you haven't made many friends, you'd prefer to be a name, rather than a number in class, or any other reason. Know that you can always transfer, even in the middle of the school year. I know plenty of people who were completely unsatisfied with going to big state schools, so they wanted something smaller and a better community, even from schools much bigger and better than Michigan; I'm even living with two of those people. It's ok if you do decide to transfer out, but if you do decide to, do it earlier rather than later, because you may end up having to stay an extra semester or year to fulfill all your requirements.

Don't just spend your weekends going to football games and partying. When you look back on your college years, those won't be the days that you'll remember, rather go out somewhere to do something that doesn't involve partying or drinking. During my orientation week, I remember one of the speakers say, that her now husband and her would invite random people to go do something fun an hour away that didn't involve those. She said, one time, afterwards a guy came up to her and thanked her for inviting him, because that was the most fun he had all year, when he would be out at parties every other weekend. I'm not saying it's bad to party and drink, just don't do it every weekend.

Nurture your relationships. This includes relationships with your boyfriend, God, and your family. Don't forget that we exist, but calling mom and dad once a week may be too much for you. Only you can decide how much contact you want with everyone, just don't completely disregard everyone who's supported/supporting you along the way. On that note, the most important relationship you can have is one with God. Going to Mass once a week and going through the motions doesn't do you any good. Instead you need to spend some quiet time in prayer everyday, it doesn't matter if that's in your room or in an Adoration chapel; but let me tell you spending time with Jesus truly present in the sacrament of the Eucharist in Adoration will nurture you more than you can imagine. Another thing you can do, is find a group of friends who share the same beliefs as you and do a bible study or just hang out a couple times a month. These relationships will help you grow more than you can imagine.

Again, happy birthday, and I hope you have an amazing 18th! Sto lat! I love you, and I only want the best for you. I know me not being able to be home for your last two years of high school is tough, on you and on me, but know I am always a phone call away when you just want to talk. I want to have a relationship with you, I want to be closer to my only sister, I'm open to you to talk about anything from good grades to heartbreaks. Don't hesitate to contact me with anything. Also know that I pray for you multiple times a day, for God to reveal his plan to you and lead you on the right path.

Love,
Your big sister

P.S. When you get closer to starting college, I may offer you some advice on surviving college, so stay tuned.