When Your Insecurities Try To Overwhelm You, Reflect On How Far You've Come From The Past

They'll always be there to scare you, but you have to show that they don't decide your life for you.
142

There are those days when you feel all of your insecurities come crashing down, and you feel like nothing you do will make them go away. You're on an emotional roller coaster that seems to only be going up for so long, but now, you feel like you're quickly falling. Those days will come and go, but what's important is what you can do to make them disappear sooner. When you feel bad about yourself, reflect on how far you've come from the past.

I, like many people, I pay a lot of attention to my body image because I do feel affected by standards to look skinnier. And there are days when I worry that it'll be impossible to reach the image that I want to look like, but I realize that I've done it before. Two years ago, I successfully lost 15 pounds in a few months with simple adjustments in my diet and exercise routine, and I was able to maintain that weight for over a year.

So, I can do it again.

I can fix how much I exercise and track what I eat like I did that one time, and that discipline I'd once built for myself will return. No matter how impossible it seems, I've done it once. I've actually proven my insecurity wrong before, meaning there's no reason for me not to be able to do it again. I do have to admit that it will be tough to get back into my old, healthier habits, but once I familiarize myself with those simple changes, there's nothing that can stop me.

Those fears in the back of my mind that drag my mood will no longer be able to tell me that I'm not stronger than them. Something to remember when they do appear is that they're just built off what you consider "perfect" compared to who you are. And although it's cliché to say this, you really are perfect just the way you are.

I look back to my progress photos from those years ago as I attempt to accomplish my new year's resolution of having a better image of myself, and I can see the evidence of an improvement in my image and my mood. I can see myself progressively get happier in each photo, taken once a week. I can see myself conquer my insecurities.

And the bad day passes, so I comfort myself back to my original, happy self. It's natural to have insecurities, and it's natural to struggle through those disheartening days. But they will always happen, and you just have to keep your head held high. You cannot expect to have insecurities and not do anything about them, expecting them to go away easily. You either have to defeat them by telling yourself that they don't matter or changing yourself to no longer be scared by them.

But letting your insecurities control how you see yourself is out of the question.