What It's Like When Your "Person" Gets Married

All our time dreaming of your special day and I won't be there to see it come true.

38

We’re here in the midst of it. It’s going down. The summer weather is sounding the alarm. It’s wedding season and it’s hitting in full force. There’s no turning back now. Put on your sun dresses and tie those bow ties because it’s time to take all the Instagram pictures.

Well it would be. If my best friend wasn’t in Australia preparing for her big day. I have failed in my maid of honor duties and have to stay here in Seattle because I still have four weeks of school left. So, instead I get to encourage her from afar and tell her how I cherish her friendship and that I hope the man in her life will make her smile for the rest of her days.

It wasn’t that long ago she left this continent. (I wrote an article about it: "When Your Best Friend Moves Across the Globe.") But I don’t think it sunk in that when she returned, she would be eternally attached to another human being, in the best way possible. So, here I am, coming to the conclusion that she deserves better than my obliviousness. So, here’s this note to you, love. May you be happy all the days of your life.

“This is it. The day that we dreamed about for years. The one we described in detail and shared several secret pinterest boards about. The event, that to be totally honest, I pictured differently. Mostly because I thought I would be there with you. Holding your hand and then apologizing for my sweaty palms. Admiring your beauty and then taking a picture of you doing something completely embarrassing. Standing up to make a speech filled with awkward memories that mainly depict me being me and you being the greatest.

But it is different, and instead of me, you are surrounded by other people who love you just as much as I do. Who couldn’t love your undying loyalty, your quick wit, and your laugh when somebody makes a pun. You’re there looking at your gorgeous tea length dress and sparkling smile awaiting your day by the water. Most importantly, you’re there with a man who I know will love you fiercely--who will be a godly man leading your household and the best partner in life (way better than what I could ever come up with). I hope that I find someone who will love me like he loves you. Seriously, you guys are adorable. I mean. Adorable.

Thank you for sticking by me all this time. For being one of the few humans who have helped me to stand when I just felt like collapsing. Thank you for going along with all the crazy ideas I have. And for inspiring most of them. Thank you for talking about your passion for writing and unknowingly helping to spark mine. Thank you for being the model for adventure and patience. Thank you.

I pray that you love daily the man God has given you with the same love that He shows us each and everyday. I pray for an abounding of grace and compassion. I pray for memories that trump all others. My girl, I pray that you will remember this special day and know that I’m thinking of you and praying great things for your life together.”