When Virtual goes Face to Face | The Odyssey Online

When Virtual goes Face to Face

Two years of friendship led to me and my best friend finally meeting...

15
When Virtual goes Face to Face
AlexaDK Designs

A few years ago, thanks to a boyband and a fast growing obsession, I became a member of the Twitter world. Now, even though Twitter seems dead to most social media users, it's still prominent in the world of "fandoms." Admittedly, I use it very little presently, but in the beginning I regretfully admit I was on there all day long. The interesting side of this was making friends with people my age who discussed a lot of the same things I did such as boybands, life, careers (and wine of course). In the midst of this, I met a girl named Ashley. First off, I was like who is this hilarious human being and why did she get the prettiest eyes ever? Her tweets were sassy and full of sarcasm, aka someone I could definitely get along with. It began with just favoriting her tweets and chuckling because everything she said was so on point. Then talking via comments, then finally we talked through the direct messages on there and got to realizing that though we lived (literally) on opposite sides of the country, we were very similar. We had very similar views and values, similar interests, she would give me advice on guys, as she is so happily married to a wonderful guy, and I would tell her of my single shenanigans, typically with her responding via text messages "OH GIRLLLLLLL".

In the two years we've been friends, we've gone to each other for everything, from relationship problems, deaths in the family, problems with friends, issues within our families, etc. Anything and everything, we text almost every single day. This year she told me she was going to come and visit me, we'd be meeting for the first time face to face and I was equally excited and nervous. Last Friday I stood outside my work, waiting for her to pull up and I was so nervous. What if we hate each other in real life? What if she can't stand my "California accent"? Do I even have a "California accent"? But the weekend we got to spend together was fills with nonstop laughter, talking about our lives in depth, taking hilarious selfies at the wax museum near Fisherman's Wharf. It was like we'd known each other forever. A lot of people like to question a friendship stemmed from the internet, and I'm the first to admit you can meet some really horrible people on there, but this is, thankfully, not like that. When people questioned how I supposedly know someone so well who I've never met, I replied by explaining that she's there for me more than some people in my day to day life that I call friends.