When You Are Thinking About Adopting A Cat...

What you need to consider when adopting a new furry friend!

11
pets4homes.co.uk

So you are getting ready to introduce a new member of your family that is a little bit furry. I have just recently adopted a new cat, and she is a shy sweet little ball of fur. After owning many animals I have found cats to be one of the easiest mammals to take care of and the most loving and commutative. If you want a companion that will love you, cuddle, play, and speak to you but has their independence a cat might be just right for you! Here are some things to keep in mind when you are adopting a new cat into your life.

If you can try to rescue! This not only helps a kitty in need but also helps cut down on institutions that breed animals with little regard to safe living conditions. Be sure to adopt from a reputable shelter! A trustworthy shelter that cares about their animals will help you understand what your kitty will need to have a safe and happy home. This also helps you be informed on the cat’s health, as some need a bit more help than others! My new cat has FIV, an illness that comes with a small chance of health issues as well as a need to live indoors with no other cats. Thankfully she comes at a time that I do not own any more cats and I was able to adopt her into a safe space for her.

When looking for the right kitty to adopt do not forget to learn about their personality. Younger cats will need more attention and playtime to maintain happiness. An older cat might need fewer playtimes and a quiet lap to rest on most of the day. Some might be terribly shy like my little kitten and need a calm and quiet home to live in, but with lots of playtimes! Learning about your potential family member's personality will allow you to figure out if you are a good fit, creating a happy home for both of you!

This addition to your family will not be very cheap, as you need to pay adoption fees, any pet deposits if you are renting, for the basics like food and litter as well as a bed and toys. Keeping this in mind will help you figure out if you are truly prepared to take care of another creature! There is not only the monetary needs but also the fact you have to care for another living thing. Cats are independent, but they do require work. You have to clean the litter box, make sure they have food and regulate it according to the kitty’s dietary needs as well as care for its emotional well being by paying attention to it.

When it is all said and done, a cat is a great companion. If you have the ability and means please adopt and accept a new furry friend into your home! They will love you just as much as you love them. They are one of the sweeties, intelligent and playful animals that have been domesticated. I am proud to own such a lovely creature.