When Should a Perpetrator Run for President?

#20Never

8
VISITING THE WHITE HOUSE

In an alternate universe, rape culture, or society blaming victims of gender-based violence and normalized sexual violence, doesnot exist. In that alternate universe, gender based violence has been eradicated, and affirmative consent is engraved in human minds. However, even within that different cosmos, if and when someone shares their experience of gender-based violence, their peers believe them –– no questions asked. No blaming. No second thoughts of whether it was a false accusation.

In a parallel world, if a presidential candidate, like, say, Donald J. Trump, normalized rape culture by stating he would utilize his power and celebrity to physically advance upon a person, the world would chastise the perpetrator. Unfortunately, in the real world I live in, also known as the United States 2016 Presidential race, there is not an equal consensus that rape culture is evident or has any bearing on this election. While activists, politicians and allies stand in solidarity with gender-based violence survivors, others, specifically, Trump supporters, protect a predator’s actions by denying or downplaying such accusations.

As a survivor of gender-based violence, hearing Trump’s 2005 tape about groping women did not just make my body cringe or my eyes cry from reliving an experience, but blood boil from rape culture continuing its domination of our society. While thousands of American citizens recognize Trump’s bigotry, misogyny, problematic statements and offensive actions, others promote triggering statements by parading “Trump can grab my p****” shirts, “praying” for his well-being and apologizing on his behalf.

I will never forget the moment when I first heard Trump’s conversation with Billy Bush, a reporter–– I was sitting on a couch, I had my iPhone headphones on and I was alone. My body began to shake; I reminisced on my own experiences, something that rarely occurs. Tears began streaming down my brave face; it was hard to accept the fact we still have to encounter rape culture, especially at the seemingly elevated level of the presidency. It does not help that Trump has continued to justify his “locker room discussion” during the presidential debates and interviews. It does not help that undecided voters are leaning towards Trump because “he says it like it is.” It does not help that internalized sexism conceded Melania Trump to say “It's kind of uh, two teenage boys” during an interview with Anderson Cooper.

As a peer educator, I have learned to tolerate equivocal comments from students. Part of me understands that not many students are exposed to the consequence of rape culture, or were never given “the talk.” For that reason, it is imperative to continue to educate younger generations. What one hopes is that students carry those lessons with them and break barriers. In addition to educating newer generations about gender-based violence, it is important to remind adults. At the end of the day, adults are many of the younger generation’s role-models. However, if a future leader seeks to lead, if they in any way perpetuate rape culture, a dangerous, toxic practice, they should not even consider running for a position of authority. Ever.