When I Roll Into The Wild Wild West

When I Roll Into The Wild Wild West

Missouri and gun control

46
When I Roll Into The Wild Wild West
http://static1.squarespace.com/

10,330. That is the number of people who have died in the United States this year from gun related incidents including but not limited to mass shootings, police shootings, and accidents. Earlier this week Missouri joined 10 other states in a legislation that allows adults to conceal and carry without a permit. This means that gun owners can conceal without paying permit fees or passing special training. The state is in quite a divide over whether this is good news or bad news and the legislation has brought some to say that we have slowly but surely entered back into the "Wild West"; bring in the Will Smith beats. Why, though? The passing of this legislation means that those who have pose a suicidal threat, have a history with law enforcement, or other concerning marks on their record can still conceal and carry. On top of this those who have a concealed weapon may not know how to properly use it because they are not required to train. What does all this mean? 10,331. 10,332, 10, 333.

This legislation could potentially be opening up Missouri to a whole lot more violence, accidental shootings, and incidents with police. Another part of the legislation made modifications were made to "stand your ground" which gives people the right to protect their home or vehicle. A person no longer has to try and back down from a threat. They can just go at it if they feel threatened. Yay. Some guy who gets angry enough in a bar fight could just start shooting with his legal gun. A man who has been arrested multiple times could decide to use a deadly weapon next time. The man who beats his wife can now just tap his hip to give her a warning. The girl who has reached her limit could play Russian Roulette. A man's child could decide to play cowboys and indians.

I would like to say that I am not anti-gun. I am all for the Right to Bear Arms and quite frankly I think conceal and carry could potentially save my life one day, but in the wrong hands it could also end my or my loved ones life. I have been touched by the pain that comes when a friend dies on the other end of their own gun. I enjoy visiting St. Louis, a place where the negative focus of the camera lens has been on for months because of the gun violence. I know officers who have had to make the split second decision to fire their weapon when a gun is pointing at them. I have lived through 10 mass shootings in the United States where 11 or more people have been killed, and many more injured. I myself have shot a gun and felt the power, confidence, and cruelty that can comes with them. In my opinion Missouri Legislators have not made me feel any more safe. If anything they have made me want to being reclusive. I now have to be concerned about my every day activities potentially angering someone and them deciding to pull out a gun. I have to pray for my loved ones who are trying to protect us as they go out to their jobs and walk into a world where they have to make the decision about who the "bad guy" is because he isn't the only one with a gun. My hope is that we don't go back to the days of gun slinging and saloon girls. 10,334. 10,335.