When is Spring Break again?

When is Spring Break again?

We all need a break from everyday life sometimes, and for college students that comes in the form of semester and holiday breaks.

50
When is Spring Break again?
www.travelchannel.com

We all need a break from our daily lives sometimes. For high school and college students that comes in forms of breaks like Summer Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break; but for those who have a career, getting all those breaks isn't the norm. Being back at the daily grind of college life for just over a week after finishing Spring Break, I've come to the even deeper realization that we all just need to take some time for ourselves sometimes.

Getting a break from the daily grind of life might not necessarily mean that sleeping in and lounging around is a daily occurrence for this break time, but that it's more of a mental break from the stresses of everyday life. I know a lot of people that have gone on missions trips over breaks, especially Spring Break, and I've even considered going on a few myself. These people don't get to just rest and relax like someone going home or on a vacation might, but they still get a mental break from all the work and stress of college, even if they don't get a physical break from everyday life. They are able to go out into the communities and serve to change hearts of those they're ministering to, either by doing physical work like building houses or putting on events like youth nights and giving talks.

Going on a vacation somewhere, can also be a restful experience, no matter if it's somewhere warm or to do something fun to the individual person, like skiing in Colorado or Utah. Like going on a mission trip, doing something adventurous may not necessarily be a physical break from the everyday stresses of life, but it is a mental break. On the other hand, a vacation somewhere warm, can be either both a physical and mental or only a mental break, depending on the activities that occur.

While going somewhere fun with friends can be a great way to spend any break from school, the much needed rest our bodies and minds need isn't completely fulfilled if a trip to party all week and drink all night is in the plans for spring break. From a break like this, one could likely expect to come back more tired, worn out, and exhausted before, while also having to readjust a sleep schedule to a more normal one suited for the life of a student. But if this is the type of spring break you like to go on, enjoy taking, and find yourself more well rested than before, then by all means do it. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to abandon their spring break plans, just because some writer on the internet told you so.

Going home for break is another popular Spring break trip for a lot of people I know, or for graduating seniors, traveling to their desired places of future employment or volunteer opportunities for interviews. Both of these things, for the most part, are physical breaks, because unless I'm wrong, they do not require very much physical effort, unless someone does some extreme sport while home or something similar, as well as being a mental break. A lot of people I've talked to that went home, mostly slept, hung out with friends, and/or caught up or got ahead on homework. Although doing homework over break may not be a complete mental break from everyday life at school, it still can be a break because the focus is solely on doing homework, while not having to go to class at the same time and getting even more homework on top of the initial amount. There are also no deadlines during that time, so the work can be done whenever and basically wherever the person wants to, which can also lend itself to being more of a mental break.

After spring break this year, I've come to a deeper realization and appreciation for why our bodies need a break from the daily grind of college. And being a psychology major helps me to understand why our minds also need a break from the daily anxieties and stresses of school. And it can be a great time of spending quality time with family, no matter if you go home or go on a vacation with them.