When Donald Trump Visits Your School

When Donald Trump Visits Your School

3
When Donald Trump Visits Your School
Rachel LeBar

Donald Trump came to the University of Central Florida on Saturday with the hope of gaining some momentum with college students and Florida residents as well. However, immediately after the news broke that he would be visiting, a protest against him was already underway.

The protest was compiled of students and other locals who either didn't support Trump's candidacy or wanted to promote peace through hateful messages.

"Free speech is a good thing, and it's great that UCF and especially the UCF Police Department has been so supportive and helpful," said Pearson Bolte. "This was basically a leaderless, very organic protest. Students just came together to exercise their right to free speech and stand for what they believe in."

The rally, which was set to begin at noon, had a line down the street, past Tower 4 and did not end for another block. Divided by a street, protesters gathered on one side as supports lined up on the other.

From freshmen in college to local civilians, the protest was a very diverse group, ranging from ages 16-60, consisting of all different races and political affiliations.

"I really like the fact that UCF has supported our peaceful protest," said UCF freshman Cheyenne DeVore. "No one is trying to be violent, and the UCFPD has really helped out a lot."

By noon, the protest had doubled in size. Students gathered around one another and supported each other as the rally began to approach, holding their signs up high and shouting phrases like, "No more hate," and "We are all immigrants!"

Some were there not even to protest, but to send a positive message.

American Islam US, a local and national organization, was there to spread their message about Islam and that they are a peaceful, accepting group.

"UCF is a beautiful place, and it's a great place to represent the message we are trying to spread about Islam," said Chandra Khan. "We don't harbor any hate or ill will toward this candidate, we are just here to try and spread awareness that Islam is peace for everyone."

Others who support Mr. Trump showed just as much passion as the protestors, and had a lot to say about why, as students, they found him to be the best candidate.

"I think the fact that he speaks his mind shows a lot about what he would accomplish as president," said freshman Aubrey Dean."Many candidates say they will do a lot just to please other people, he just speaks his mind and what he says is real, so it's a lot more believable that he would actually do it."

As this election continues on, it is clear that millennials are getting more involved than ever, and will take a stand for what matters to them most.