When Did Millennials Decide It Was 'Cool' To Be The Generation Of Heartbreakers?

We seem to have this idea that we are machines, born and bred to not have any emotions.

129
Courtney Clayton

In today's society, it is extremely hard to show emotions without being "an attention whore" or being told that "there are people starving, you are lucky, just get over it". We seem to have this idea that we are machines, born and bred to not have any emotions.

Sure, we all want to be that girl that has a slam-packed schedule and still somehow handles it with ease and puts a smile on her face and is genuinely happy.

But see...that girl doesn't exist.

None of us have our lives together. It's the truth. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others.

I feel like that is especially relevant when it comes to romantic relationships. You are almost expected to just pick up and move on after a breakup and act like you are okay. It's almost as if there is a timeline on "how long you can be sad" or "how long you can feel bad for yourself".

Sure...it's important to move on with your life. You can't dwell on it forever.

However, we've become this generation of "emotionless heartbreakers". Not just in our romantic relationships, but with our friendships. We encourage our friends to have meaningless hookups after a breakup and we encourage our friends to put themselves out there after a bad breakup, but we forget the fact that heartbreak takes time. Putting yourself in a situation to be with someone new right after a breakup will eventually lead to more heartbreak.

We like to put this image out that we are the carefree, stone-cold generation that doesn't have feelings. We power through. We don't let emotions shine through.

However, we forget that emotions are a part of life. Every one needs time to heal, no matter what they've been through. Everyone needs time to take a step back and reflect on themselves. Everyone needs time to find who they are, and unfortunately, it's hard to do that when you're having meaningless hookups and playing with other people's emotions. It's not nice, and while it might make you feel better in the short-term, you're putting your heart through so much in the long-run.