Laughter Is The Best Medicine

When All Else Fails, Laugh

Life can be extremely overwhelming. When things get hard, laughter can be your escape!

47
When All Else Fails, Laugh
Laura Wilder

In today's world, everyone seems to be running on fumes. The connectivity of our society is so positive in the grand scheme of technology and communication, but it definitely adds to the already hectic lives of people of all ages.

There are tons of methods, techniques, and habits that people use to calm themselves down throughout their stressful lives. Things like yoga, meditation, and crafting are great when you are feeling overwhelmed or oversaturated, but what about when you are in the middle of class/work/a meeting/etc??? I don't know about you, but I am pretty sure my professors would not be okay with a random sun salutation in the middle of a lecture.

When I feel like the world around me is moving too quickly and I don't have time to remove myself from the situation I am in, I differ to laughter.

Now, I love comedy. I love watching it, listening to it, and performing it. I think there is something so special about how words can come together and cause someone to immediately forget their worries and express joy through laughing.

When I have time, even if it is just a few minutes between classes, I will pull up a funny video or podcast and listen for a few minutes. Sometimes just letting myself laugh can eliminate some of the negativity that has built up inside me throughout the day.

If I find myself in a situation like a class or meeting where I cannot leave, I do my best to take a moment and conjure a funny memory. Whether it be formerly performed sketches from my comedy troupe or something ridiculous my sister did on her snapchat story, I try to separate myself mentally for just enough time to conjure and enjoy the memory. Obviously, this method can apply to any kind of memory, not just comedic ones, but I find that laughter is one of the best ways to turn around your mood because of its physical and emotional activation in your body.

The next time you are feeling down, overwhelmed, nervous, etc, consider laughing! You would be surprised how easily your mood can be uplifted from a simple giggle!