What's With All The Secrecy Surrounding "American Horror Story"?

Stop torturing us, Ryan Murphy.

5
moviepilot.com

“American Horror Story”, the evil twin of “Glee”, is one of the hottest shows on TV. It’s created a fiercely devoted fan base and made FX as popular as it is. I can proudly admit that I’m a fan of the show. Unlike most AHS fans, I was a late bloomer. I didn’t start watching the show until the winter of 2016, when I was introduced to it by a friend. From the first haunting notes of the show’s intro, I was hooked. And I’ve been hooked ever since.

Although I may be a latecomer to the AHS fandom, I share the frustration of the show’s most devoted fans surrounding the secrecy regarding the show’s sixth season. For the past five seasons, the creative minds behind “American Horror Story” have released details like theme and cast members before the season aired. This time, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk are keeping us in the dark. In all the research I’ve done, I’ve only found three concrete details regarding Season 6: one, that the season will air in September instead of October; two, that Lady Gaga will be returning; and three, that this season will have 10 episodes instead of 13. Other than that, we have absolutely no idea who else is starring in Season 6, or what the theme will be.

In the absence of real information, there are a lot of theories. If you type “American Horror Story Season 6” into YouTube, you get a ton of fanmade trailers entitled “AHS: Forest,” “AHS: Summer Camp,” “AHS: Village,” to name a few. There’s also speculation that regular cast members Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, and Angela Bassett are returning. But those are all theories.

My question is, what’s the big secret? “American Horror Story” has never used this marketing strategy before. And I want to know why. It’s also curious that this season isn’t airing in October, and that this season will only have 10 episodes. Usually that happens when a show isn’t doing so well anymore. Is AHS ending? I certainly hope not!

I commend Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk for using unconventional advertising strategies to build anticipation in the show’s fans. But enough is enough. Dedicated AHS fans will tune in to Season 6, no worries. So stop killing us with suspense and let us know what you’ve got planned for us.