Unpopular Opinion: SoulCycle Is Actually So Overrated

SoulCycle is a classic case of people commercializing and putting an attractive brand on something that simply does not have a practical purpose.

352
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/02/636582454272857755-1144222164_161115-F-CT367-063.JPG

So, what's the deal with SoulCycle? As I walk around Fordham's campus, I see so many girls wearing SoulCycle apparel and talking about their most recent class. I must admit, I'm never one to downplay something when it has such an avid supporter group, but I really don't see the appeal of it.

First off, the clothes and apparel. When I first saw SoulCycle clothes being worn around campus, my initial thought was "wow they really have their customers so immersed that they're buying their apparel". However, I recently looked up how much some of these items cost and I realized.. you have to be brainwashed to buy this stuff. There was a ripped sweatshirt on their online website for $295. Are you serious? And the crazy part is... people actually buy it! C'mon now.

Granted, I have never been to a SoulCycle class or studio (nor do I plan on it), but I can see a scheme from a mile away. All you have to do is check the website for a description of what the class and studio are like and it's clear that this a sham. In the bio, they say, "it's like a dance party". Really? Are you there to dance or take a spin class?

To be fair to SoulCycle, they have people coming in day after day, spending nearly $40 per class. For SoulCycle to have reached a niche market that gets people to pay that much for a simple 45-minute workout class, they have to be doing something right. At Fordham, alternatively, you can take a spin class for, you guessed it, free!

I'll never understand workout classes where you pay so much money per class on something you can easily do with a simple gym membership. How difficult is it to just hop on a bike in the gym, pop on your headphones and pretend you're in a SoulCycle class. Not to mention, most normal gym memberships per month are less than what one class of SoulCycle costs. That is absolutely absurd.

SoulCycle is a classic case of people commercializing and putting an attractive brand on something that simply does not have a practical purpose. Yes, I understand that SoulCycle is thriving at the moment and opening up studios left and right. Yet, people need to come to their senses and realize that the only way to be truly fit is self-motivating yourself to workout and be healthy instead of paying $40 for someone to put on a cheesy playlist.