A Letter To My Younger Self

A Letter To My Younger Self

I know the going gets tough, but you are tougher.

17
A Letter To My Younger Self
Tumblr.com

Hi there. How are you?

Actually, don't answer that… I know that you aren't doing so great. Things seem rough. You feel unwanted, scared, depressed. People pick on you constantly and you feel like giving up. I'm here to tell you that I'm glad you didn't. I know there was never a time you felt like you weren't the target. Because, to you, everyone was trying to make you upset. Those friends you called friends weren't actually as nice to you as you thought they were. To be honest, looking back on it, they were extremely rude and did aim to make your life a living hell.

But while school seemed like it was never going to get better, it did. The people whose opinions meant so much to you then mean nothing now. All that time you spent making sure people liked you was not worth it. They don't matter anymore. In fact, their opinions never really did matter, they only seemed to. It takes a while to notice, but those who put you down are only doing it due to their own insecurities.

Well, here you are today. You made it through the hell of middle school and high school. You graduated high school and now made it to college. Life has gotten a lot better. People have gotten nicer, the drama has lessened, and you have accepted yourself for who you are. Although college is still tough, life isn't as bad as you once thought.

I'm writing this letter to you to express how grateful I am that you continued to power through, no matter how tough things did get. No matter how many times you wanted things to end, you kept strong. I know how close you were to going through with the unthinkable, but I can tell you now, I'm so thankful you didn't. And I know you have so many people to thank for being the reason you are still here.

It was rough, I'll agree. All those endless nights crying yourself to sleep. All the negative thoughts you had. And it may have taken some time to realize how much you mean to the people around you, but now you know. The ones that kept you strong are the ones you need to keep in your life. No matter what happens, they will be there for you.

You are loved, you are worth it, and you are important. Never forget that. I realize it was forgotten time and time again, and at some points even now I forget these things. However, they are true and once remembered, these three phrases can help you power through.

So thank you again. Thank you for keeping yourself going and for trying your hardest. Thank you and remember, it can only get better from here. I believe in you.