5 Things I Wish I Knew In Middle School

5 Things I Wish I Knew In Middle School

If only I could go back in time...

213
5 Things I Wish I Knew In Middle School
Huffington Post

Oh the joys of middle school: puberty, relationships, and drama. I enjoyed the years I spent in middle school, but I could have done some things differently. During the lovely junior high years, you feel so much older (I mean at the time it was the oldest you have ever been) than you really are. It's a time where things start to get confusing, so here's some advice I wish middle school me knew.

1. Relationships don't matter!

Boy/girl relationships are what seem to be the coolest thing in middle school. You are finally discovering what type of person you're into and you decide to try dating (let's be real, in middle school, relationships can't even be called dating). As we get older, we begin to realize that relationships started on the playground won't get very far. So why did I go through all that heartache at 13-years-old?!

2. Stick together.

Popularity and friendships heat up once middle school starts, and heading into it with a good head on your shoulders really helps. When you are in the constant circle of gossip a bucket load of drama begins to fall into your life. If you hear gossip about someone make sure to find out if it's true before you judge them. Everyone deserves a chance, even in middle school. People talk and things spread like wildfire so remember to mind your own business and spread kindness. Stick with your friends instead of standing against them.

3. Love yourself.

No, not the Justin Bieber song. Loving yourself in these weird times of transition and stress is something that is super duper important. Self esteem sinks and self hate rises during the middle school years. Remember that you're loved, beautiful, and worth it. Don't let anyone's words put you in a bad spot with yourself. It's important to surround yourself with positivity and knowing what you're worth (which is billions and billions).

4. Your parents are your friends.

Even when it doesn't seem like it, your parents/guardians are on your side. They want the best for you and will do anything to show you how to get the best. Go to them for advice, and don't try and hide things from them (they will find out).

5. Don't grow up too fast

You may be 13-years-old, but you are anything but an adult. You're at an age where more responsibility awaits you, but in the midst of it, don't force yourself to grow up too fast. Enjoy summers without working, free rent/insurance, and getting driven everywhere. Growing up may seem like all fun and games but you're always growing up and can't ever get younger. Go out, be a kid, and enjoy life.