What I Wish I Knew When I Started College

You're not a contestant on "The Bachelor" or "The Bachelorette."

9
youqueen.com

Hey there, I know you don't know me, but I know you. I lived with you for two years, and it was pretty embarrassing. Now that I have moved on from my freshman year of college, I thought I would share with you what I learned over those grueling first two years of college. Hopefully this advice will help you or help you help a new freshman with the same fear in their eyes that you had.

1. Pack light (it's a pain for your mom to have to move everything you could possibly need).

Pack once, set it aside, then re-pack -- leaving behind half of what you initially packed. Chances are you won't even use that Snuggie, George Foreman grill or wear a different pair of shoes every day.

2. Pay attention to what your adviser tells you about courses.

They're your academic adviser for a reason -- they know what they are doing. Please listen to them when you have to decide next semesters classes, or else you'll end up in classes you really don't need for your core credits, major, or minor, and have to struggle all semester to stay on top of work for that class.

3. When a professor hands out a study guide, start it right away.

Study guides in college will often be three or four-pages long (there are some professors that make six-page study guides, too), so start on them the day you get them to make sure you know everything on the study guide and won't be cramming the night before your exam.

4. Get involved on your campus!

Getting involved is how you make friends with people who aren't on your floor and you may discover something new about yourself and you will undoubtedly have a lot of fun. You don't want to be one of those people who sits alone in their dorm while the friends on your floor are out doing something else, do you?

5. Relationships aren't everything.

Instead of trying to find a person to be in a relationship with, focus on studying. There is plenty of time for you to dabble in campus dating, so you don't need to make dating in college your number one priority. You are not there to be a contestant on "The Bachelor" or "The Bachelorette;" you are there to study.

6. Say no to Netflix.

While Netflix is a revolutionary thing, do not get sucked in when you are in college. If you do, the next thing you know, it's midnight; you have finished an entire TV series, and haven't even thought about the presentation you have to give at 10 a.m.

7. Enjoy college, but not too much.

You aren't in college to go to every party that is ever thrown on campus. Going to one or two parties your first few years of college is OK, but the point is you want to remember your college years and not be hungover for all of it.

8. Don't hold grudges.

Holding a grudge against anyone on your campus will take away from the fun you are supposed to be having. I bet that girl the guy you liked is dating is really nice and he's with her for a reason.

9. Don't get on your professor's bad side.

Always try to stay on your professors good side, because you don't want to dread going to class everyday with a professor who doesn't like you.

10. Get a job off campus.

On-campus jobs give you a set amount of money you can earn. Once you hit that amount, you're done and can't earn any more money, which sucks because college kids are already broke. Getting a job off campus will ensure you have money coming in when your friends with on-campus jobs complain they can't earn any more money.