What I Wish I Knew When I Was A Senior In High School

It's not as bad as you think

35

1. Stop trying to impress people

I was definitely a big perfectionist in high school, and I still am a perfectionist. If I got a bad grade, messed up singing one of my songs, etc., I would freak out and go into this "shut down" state of mind. I would go into this state because, all I wanted to do was be the best I could be in high school, and try to impress everyone. Stop. Just stop. It is not worth trying to impress people, because being yourself is the best way to go through life.

2. People will try to bring you down...DO NOT LET THEM.

Oh my gosh, this was huge for me in high school. When I told people I was going to college for music education, so many people came back with a response such as "good luck with that", "ha, you're gonna do that?", "Are you sure you want to be a music teacher?", and the best one yet, "You're not going to survive in that field". If you're a senior in high school trying to decide what you want to do with your life, and someone doesn't like your preferred career choice...screw them. Honestly, they are not worth it, if your confidence is going to get shot down. Remember, do what you want and love to do, cause in the end, you can come back and say to those people "Ha, remember when you said I couldn't do it? Well look at me now!"

3. Cut out all the negative people

This is hard to do, trust me. Especially in high school, you're going to be surrounded by a bunch of hormonal teenagers. Just remember that you will not have the same friends from high school going into college. Instead of the small friend group you had in high school, you may still talk to only 2 of those friends. That's just how life works. For me personally, I have such a positive friend group now in college, and in high school that was not the case.

4. Do what you want to do with your life, not what people tell you to do.

For me, this had a lot to do with number 2 (people bringing me down). So, I will give you the same piece of advice again...Do what you want and love to do because in the end, you can come back and say to those people "Ha, remember when you said I couldn't do it? Well look at me now!"

5. Calm down with the eyeliner...you do not need it, you look like a raccoon.

Enough said...#alettertomy9thgradeself

6. Do not care about what other people think of you

In high school, every time there was a new fad or trend that came out, everyone had to go buy it. When Ugg's became a trend, you best believe every little high school girl was wearing a pair. Vera Bradley, oh yeah had to have it. It seemed as if we needed to have these little things in life because, we cared so much about what other people think. If someone didn't have a pair of Ugg's on with a north face jacket in the winter time, you were "made fun of", which is honestly REALLY SAD. So my advice is, BE YOURSELF. Cliché, I know, but it's true.

7. Partying in high school doesn't make you cool...it's just plain trashy.

Okay, if you decide to drink, whatever, that's you're problem. Yes, it's illegal, but it's your problem. If you choose to drink, please for the love of god don't post a photo of you and your friends with red solo cups with the caption "getting lit". It's 1. annoying to see all over social media, 2. It's trashy, and 3. People truly don't care that you were partying on a Friday night. Okay, rant over.

8. Going to prom with just a group of friends is okay!! You don't have to go with a date.

Yes, I went to prom my junior and senior year with a date. Throughout the night, I barely hung out with my date and my friends and I were dancing the night away! Prom still can be fun with your close friends.

9. Don't let the idea of college stress you out

During my senior year, every time I heard the word "college", I immediately ran away from the situation, or tried to change the topic of conversation. As a sophomore in college, I can tell you everything is going to be OKAY. Yes, college is stressful, but don't let it stress you out during your last year of high school.

10. High school will not last forever, it goes by really fast. Enjoy every minute of it.