What Will We Do After This Election?
Politics

What Will We Do After This Election?

Our influence in spite of the election is profound, if we use it!

4
What Will We Do After This Election?
Franklin Graham Facebook

At this point I don’t have to tell any of you what is wrong with each candidate. I have heard the concerns of my fellow Christian Americans and Patriots. The unreliability of each major party candidate is significant. The shortcomings of third party candidates are clear. The mathematical probabilities of who can win are also clear. The consequences of either outcome in this election will affect us.

I also hear the words of evangelical leaders like Beth Moore, Andy Stanley, and Max Lucado who share the sentiment that no matter what we have God. It’s comforting but many of us who are so invested in this election are still grappling with how the next set of policies and the next supreme court justices will impact our lives for a number of years. We are painfully aware of how the last 8 years has affected us as a nation.

SO what will we do?

As Christians and Patriotic Americans we have already identified many of the problems. Let’s continue to explicitly identify these problems. Then let’s work on identifying the solutions with and without the government. Let’s be clear on what our rights are. Let’s work to keep these rights.

I’ll give an example. Abortion. There is a clear divide in policy differences between the candidates. Recently our nation has favored pro-choice candidates over pro-life candidates. Why? When I listen to other Christians discuss the issue, I hear both those who proclaim that abortion is murder plain and simple and others who will say that they don’t personally agree with it but it’s a woman’s right. Why do some have a strong, clear conviction and others have a compromise? Why isn’t it a compromise for me? Why do I believe what I believe?

I remember drawing the conclusion on the argument the first time I learned what abortion was. I was in fifth grade when I heard a presentation from a Pregnancy Care Center Advocate in which she (with little regard for our age) simply explained what abortion is and the different ways it is performed. I was in sixth grade when I read a book called “Outcry in the Barrio” which was an autobiography by a couple who were drug addicts and thieves that turned their lives around and dedicated their life to helping others. They were very poor when one of their pregnancies occurred and she got an abortion. She saw her dead, aborted, mutilated, and underdeveloped child and felt a grief she never fully healed from. In her old age, she spoke to my father and told him that her body was never the same after that and she was troubled that this was an aspect of abortion that is never talked about. In high school I did a group project on abortion and within my group, we had a discussion about how abortion was wrong except in the case of rape (an argument I would hear many times from men I knew). I immediately said that if I were ever raped, I wouldn’t want to abort my baby. I knew that a baby would be the one bright spot in a dark situation such as that and I would end up grieving the loss of a child on top of the loss of my innocence if I made such a choice. If there could have been any doubt in my mind about the sanctity of life before birth, it would have been squashed the moment I saw my daughter dancing in the ultrasound a mere eight weeks after her conception.

I share my personal experience to illustrate the point that I was educated in this issue when I was very young and when confronted with opposing ideas to grapple with, I had a clear understanding of exactly what was being debated and how it could affect myself and others. I will always side with life in my votes and life decisions because of this.

We have the politicians and policies we have now because of the majority’s perspective. The way our children are raised has a direct correlation with each new group of adults who vote in elections. What people believe is truth affects the choices that are made. If more than half of Americans don’t believe that an unborn baby can feel, it is easy for them to justify abortion as a mere choice.

So that leads me to these questions. Who all raises our children? Where do people find their truth? What causes our convictions to be firm or easily compromised?

Although they are the most significant influence, I don’t think parents are the only ones raising children. Schools and daycares play a role. Churches and community groups play a role. Television and the internet play a role. What are all of these entities teaching our children now and how will their influence affect their role in society 10-20 years from now?

People seek truth from the news, religious organizations, religious texts, leaders, and family. I believe that convictions are compromised in conflict. As I have grown up, I have heard the term “politically correct” often. It used to seem like a phrase used to make peace with others and was often seen as a good thing. Currently, it’s a dirty word with negative connotations. We always hear complaints that political correctness is a hindrance that keeps us from the truth. I don’t think there’s any denying that this ideology has had a significant impact on us. Sometimes being firm in your conviction can lead to confrontation and many of us don’t like that!

So what are the solutions? We vote. What else? We educate and we work to overcome the fear of confrontation.

If we are going to make a difference and influence now it’ll be through holding the media accountable, doing our own research and writing, and sharing information that is presented well. It’ll be through ministering to your local community, empowering good leaders such as pastors, and praying for others.

If we are going to make a profound difference in the hearts that make choices, in the long run, we have to educate our children well. We have to trust them with knowledge about the ugly truths, how government works, different types of governments and societies, cultures, morals, values, their rights as citizens, and work ethic. We have to invest in them for the future. Many government leaders understand this and they work to determine what standards are taught in public schools. Shouldn’t we be explicit in our efforts as well?

That brings me to our rights in relation to the solutions. We have a right to worship freely. We have a right to chose our children’s educational institutions or to homeschool. We have a right to free speech and free press. We have a right to choose to assemble with others with common goals. We have a right to vote. Now imagine all the things you can do within those rights to influence your children and your community! The possibilities with and without the government are too numerous to count! This is why should be concerned about preserving these rights our God and our forefathers envisioned for us!

On November 9th there will be a lot of disappointment circling the nation. Thankfully we are not reduced to only being able to sit on our butts and wait four years for next election hoping to slow the train wreck. There is much we can do for our country every day the next four years. What political issue gives you deep concern? How can you use your rights as a citizen to make a positive impact? Set your eyes on those constructive purposes; this is the beginning of a liberating conversation.