So, What Now?

So, What Now?

Moving on from the results of the election is not easy.

6
So, What Now?
Jonas Quirin

It's Tuesday, November 8, and I'm developing a rash. Plopped in front of my TV in my dorm, CNN on, full volume up. The voting results are beginning to come in, minute by minute. I'm stressing. I'm scared. I'm nervous. It comes to 10 PM, and Clinton is still losing. I realize my early class the next morning and know bed is a must. The next morning, I awake and turn to my left with CNN still on, and the first thing I read with not even being awake for more than a minute is a banner hogging the bottom of the screen that reads, "Donald Trump Elected 45th President of the US". My heart drops. I am instantly filled with anger. I want to scream. I am disappointed with voters in my country, I am disappointed with the lack of knowledge, I am disappointed ignorance took over. After a few rant phone calls to my parents and a sweaty anger fueled workout, I thought to myself:

So, what now?

I first let the anger take over and the devastation, then I remembered who I am, a citizen of one of the greatest countries in the world, and will not let this disappointing outcome ruin my faith in the future. We have four unprecedented years to endure and fear is fueling in Americans everywhere. It isn't what I wanted, and it isn't what many wanted, but sadly, it's democracy. It's how our country and political system works. A loss isn't going to silence the ones who still want change. Seeing as protests have been occurring everywhere since the night of the election results, makes me wonder how this term of presidency is going to go. What I do fear, is the future of the division of our country. Everyone knows and sees how divided we already are, but take this major and controversial change, and it can make our country the most polarized it has ever been.

What people need to realize now is the decision is made, so going back and forth with page long Facebook posts stating your stance will not help anything, we need to come together and demand change. Make it known that our country will not take infringing upon our rights lightly. We need to have hope. Hope that the candidate we saw throughout the whole campaign trail wasn't the true person who will be in office. Have faith in our country, and the people already holding official positions to steer our country in the right direction.

In President Obama's speech to the country the day after the results, he pressed the idea of coming together and the magnitude of its importance. Being the mediator he has always been, he gave everyone some insight for a bright future.

"Now, everybody is sad when their side loses an election. But the day after, we have to remember that we’re actually all on one team. This is an intramural scrimmage. We’re not Democrats first. We're not Republicans first. We are Americans first. We’re patriots first. We all want what’s best for this country."

No one could have said it better. We are all on one team, and must not let this outrage take over what we stand for. The one thing every American can do right now and for the next four years, is be involved. Be involved in our political process, stay informed, and be knowledgeable on the issues happening in our country. We can't let another future election filled with ignorance and uneducated voters be the rulers and ruin all the progress we have made.

On the day of the aftermath of the results, I watched Hillary Clinton's concession speech, and I felt for the first time that day, a sense of hope. Just in her voice you could feel the empathy, she was on our team, she was with and for all of us. As saddening as it was to watch, she made me remember what the fight was all about.

"I’ve had successes and setbacks and sometimes painful ones. Many of you are at the beginning of your professional, public, and political careers — you will have successes and setbacks too. This loss hurts, but please never stop believing that fighting for what’s right is worth it. It is, it is worth it."

Right now we all are angry and disappointed, and this is extremely difficult for many in this country. We have to keep speaking our voice and the change we want in our country. The future is such a frightening blur at the moment, but we all must remember those words spoken by Hillary Clinton, and remember, love trumps hate, always.