What I Want To Say To All My Roommates

What I Want To Say To All My Roommates

Past, present, future...this goes out to you.

44
What I Want To Say To All My Roommates
A.V. club

I just want to give a shout out to all of my roommates that put up with all my habits. I mean, you had to put up with my self-diagnosed OCD, my mood swings, my weird food habits, love of theater, my obsession with Netflix and coloring, and my old lady tendencies. Even through all that, you stuck with me. Here's to you!

I want to say thank you to my sisters for being my first roommates. Starting with my older sister and going to my little sister, you two are the ones that taught me what it meant to share. Thank you for not killing me when you had to listen to endless Disney music, or when you stepped on another Polly Pocket. Thank you for playing dress up with me and not kicking me out when your friends were over. Thank you for keeping your things on your side of the invisible line that divided our room in half. Thank you for being protective and understanding. You intimidated the boys in my life, and even when I ignored your warnings against them, you were always there for me after the break-ups. Thank you for being forgiving. Even when I wasn't inclusive when it came to you and my friends at first, you still forgave me and gave me space. Thank you for all the fights (literally and verbally). You made me stronger and also taught me that I cannot fix my problems with my fists. Thank you for your undying Thank you for being amazing sisters.

I want to say thank you to my first college roommate. We hadn't even met, yet we decided to room together anyway. Thank you for being so welcoming in such a scary transition in my life. Thank you for sharing the love for "Finding Nemo" and teaching me all about "One Tree Hill." Especially when all we had was a laptop on top of a pile of your huge text books and a desk chair. Thank you for all those times you dragged my butt out of bed to go to the gym. I might have complained something fierce but you never faltered. Thank you for not judging me because I was more like an old lady than a college student. The fact that you didn't judge me about not knowing all the current slang words made be feel less like a nerd. Thank you for introducing me to your friends and family back home. Thank you for accepting me and being supportive of my then new relationship. You had to put up with a lot of giggles and Skype dates, yet you never got annoyed with me. Thank you for the late night laugh attacks and deep conversations. We learned a lot about each other, even though most of the time it was you rapping whatever song was stuck in your head. Thank you for taking care of me when I was sick. I remember that awful winter when you offered to bring me to the store when I had the flu. Thank you for making the best mac and cheese and yummy pancakes. We might have been broke college students, but we ate some tasty food! Thank you for being the real MVP.

I want to thank my second college roommate. We started living together our second year of college and we still live together to this day. We have gone through so much together it's a wonder we are still friends (Just kidding!). We have gone through break-ups, nightmare roommates, bad grades, countless hell weeks and finals weeks, party nights, food poisoning, and more. Thank you for being there for me. I have gone through a lot since I met you, and you listened. Thank you for helping me when I had car problems and always being willing to fix it for me. Thank you for the "roomie dinners," even when it consists of our own delivery pizzas, laying in bed, and binge watching old movies. Thank you for introducing me to "Supernatural" and not spoiling anything for me. Thank you for the support you showed me all throughout college. You were always there to cheer me up. Whether it was my stress with needing to get all A's, or I was moody because of my fiance's deployment, you offered a willing ear. Thank you for helping me with school. No matter how many awkward interviews I asked you to do, you were always willing to help. Thank you for making all the moving bearable. You made packing during finals week fun, no matter how much we both hate packing. Thank you for randomly coming up to me that one day in class and going to lunch with me. If you hadn't, we might not have met. Thank you for being a good friend.

I want to say thank you to my new roommate. We started living together this fall and we've become so close already. Thank you for not being a nightmare roommate and actually being a decent human being. With my past experiences, I didn't know what to expect! Thank you for baring with me through the late nights and all-nighters. Even when you didn't need to stay up all night, you did anyway. Thank you for spending whole days with me in my room. Sometimes, I don't want to get out of bed and you never complain. You just crawl in my bed, cover up with my electric blanket and binge watch Netflix. Thank you for sharing my love of Taco Bell. I never have to feel bad about my eating habits around you. Thank you for supporting me. Even if it is not your thing, you'll go with me, help me or volunteer to make it easier. Thank you for listening to me, even when you're having a hard time yourself. Thank you for all the laughs. I know I will look back at this year and reminisce over the crazy things we've said. Thank you for being there.

I feel like the word "roommate" has a bad connotation connected to it. In my case, I have seen both sides of the word. I have experienced the bad sort of roommate that is responsible for the bad connotation, but I also had all of you. People say that it sucks having roommates, and sometimes it does. Personally, I have gotten lucky a few times, and I consider myself lucky to have had all of you in my life. So, thank you all for walking into my life and just being you.