What To Do And Not To Do On A First Date

Most of all, have fun!

80
MTL Blog

Learn from other people’s experiences. Don’t have a dating horror story. While everyone will have bumps in the road along the way and some dating woes, there are certain things to never, ever do on a first date. I mean, you can, but why make it awkward for you and the other person?

1. Do not be vulgar. It’s not cool to curse like a sailor. No one wants to hear 'F this' and 'F that' while getting to know someone.

2. Try to be mannerly. Don’t be rude. Say please and thank you and be on your best behavior. First impressions are everything.

3. Do not talk badly about exes on your first date. It just makes you look bitter and annoyed.

4. Do not eat stinky foods like garlic on a first date. It’s not cute, especially when you go in for a kiss.

5. Do not burp or pass gas on the first date. That may be natural and a part of life, but do not make that a part of your first impression. Leave that for when you’re old and married.

6. Do not go on a date wasted! I don’t care if you’re nervous. Everyone has a slight case of jitters. If you don’t, it’s weird. But getting hammered or even a little tipsy before your first date will not be good if you act silly or don’t remember certain aspects of your date.

7. Do not talk about getting married or having kids on the first date. While it is pretty common that most people want those things later in life, it is not wise to scare someone off on the first date, or you may not get to the married and kids part.

8. Make sure you are on time. Nothing is worse than worrying if you’re about to be stood up.

9. If you have to cancel, make sure you give the person enough notice and when you do cancel, make sure you reschedule and make it up to the person or they will definitely think it is because you decided you don’t like them.

10. Make sure you look your best. Don’t wear sweatpants and a t-shirt on your first date, even if you’re doing something low key. It just doesn’t set the right tone.

11. Do not be completely self-absorbed. It’s okay to talk about yourself and your interests, but make sure you ask the person about their life, interests, job, family, etc.

12. Don’t be too shy. If you’re being coy to be cute, fine. However, if you’re just going on a date for fun, then make that clear. If someone is looking for a serious relationship to build, everyone needs to know your intentions up front so no one is hurt.

13. Tell someone how you feel instead of being passive. If you know that you are going to a steakhouse but you’re vegan, tell the person. I’m sure they won’t mind.

14. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT be on your phone for the whole date. If something serious comes up and you need to answer a call or text, fine. However, do not be snapchatting friends and texting during your date. It makes the other person feel as though you are bored or uninterested.

15. Offer to pay. No matter whether you are a guy or a girl, chivalry is not dead. However, I always like to offer. It is not fair to assume the man has to pay just because that’s what tradition says is right.

16. Do not tell the person you have social media stalked them. Sure, we all do it. It would be weird to never stalk someone on social media, but it may not be the best idea to tell your date what you know. It may freak them out if you tell them about their aunt’s trip to Paris in 2007. Let them tell you (even if you know already).

17. Don’t act stupid or try to say that you’re interested in fishing if you wouldn’t be caught dead in a fishing bought (pun intended).

Lastly, be yourself on a first date. Don’t be nervous and most of all, have fun!