This Is What Biden’s Victory Means To Me As A Mexican American

The time is now.

56
Biden-Harris 2020 sign

On November 3rd I was a shaking mess, a ball of anxiety finishing assignments and watching the live election with three friends in my dorm room. We were told to not expect results on the same day, but nevertheless, I continued to watch with hope, terror, and apprehension.

While scrolling through endless Twitter memes, refreshing the search engines, and keeping intense eye-contact with Steve Kornacki on MSNBC, the election was nowhere near over. After 2 AM came rolling around, I went to sleep and the rest of the week went by with unrest.

On November 7, 2020, at 11:28 am, the Associated Press declared Joe Biden as the projected winner of the 2020 presidential election.

I felt relief, almost as if this huge weight was finally lifted off my whole being.

I felt as if I could reclaim America as my country once again - a country I tried so hard to find the good within but failed to do so throughout this current administration.

It is only when you're viscerally told what you're worth because of your ethnicity and your ability to speak two languages that you realize that something has shifted. (I was told that it was only acceptable to speak American in America... yes, American). It was President Trump that was able to ignite this throughout his presidency.

I can go full throttle on how the current administration has affected me and my community, but for now, I divert my attention to the future administration that will recognize me as a human.

I feel recognized as a person.

President-elect Joe Biden acknowledges Latinos and their contribution to society. This makes all the difference for me as I have it engraved in my mind to work even harder to prove that I am even worthy of what I achieve.

Rather than categorizing all Mexican immigrants as "criminals" and "rapists," Biden has some common sense to not ignite division and categorize individuals. Upon hearing this from President Donald J. Trump, I was not shocked that he said such a statement. Rather, I was in awe of how he was even able to physically say it.

There is a fine line between personal statements and being downright racist, and rather than igniting division, Joe Biden is intent on bringing the American people together.

I recognize the amount that needs to be done by the Biden-Harris administration, though.

United States politics are grueling, confusing, and ever-changing, and I recognize how not all that is promised will be delivered. People will continue to spur hate and continue to be ruthless and ignorant, but it is beyond me now and I won't stop believing in the power of the people.

For now, I am celebrating the possible 11 million immigrants that will have that path to citizenship and the plan for a more humane way of seeking asylum. My personal opinions are derived from my personal experiences and encounters; I am at ease for now but am ready to move ahead.

Being able to hold an administration accountable is what this upcoming presidency means to me. Under the Trump administration, it felt like talking to a brick wall unless your views aligned with those in power. The people are in power now, and we are even louder this time around. We will prevail. Con fuerza !

"I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James A. Baldwin