9 Lessons The College Process Has Taught Me

It's not all stress and tears

26
Teen Life

The college process. It may seem exciting, scary,or overwhelming to anyone who hasn't yet gone through it. Spoiler alert: it's all of the above. Between testing, essays and maintaining fantastic grades, senior year can get pretty stressful. Although crazy, the process does teach you a few things, and you leave a little more grateful and well-rounded than you previously were.

1. Time management skills.

You perfectly planned your Thursday night so that you'd have 2 hours and 13 minutes to write an essay, 11 minutes to eat dinner, and also squeeze in 36 minutes of your favorite show before you need to call it a night.

2. Priorities.

The social scene in high schools is really tempting, but the first half of senior year is all about college. With essays hanging over your head and deadlines quickly approaching, most seniors put social events on the back-burner for a while. I can honestly say that this stressful process has made me focus more on school and my future, and I've never been more grateful for the wake-up call.

3. How to bond fellow seniors.

Seniors who suffer together, stay together.

4. Not stress about what is out of your control.

We have each been told a million and one times that we shouldn't stress over something we can't control -- and it's true!! Once we have submitted our applications, the university's decision to accept or deny us is out of our control. We shouldn't be stressing about a decision we cannot change. And speaking of stress..

5. How to handle stress like a pro.

High school in general has taught me how to control the anxiety that comes with the piles of assignments each week, but the college process is the real stress test. With the hundreds of essays and dozens of websites and applications we need to remember to complete, one minor fault or slip-up can throw our whole plan off-track. After finally completing every task on our plates, our tolerance to work overloads has escalated, and we feel like we can handle anything.

6. Juggling 8 clubs, 2 sports and a job is just not possible.

Everyone wants to make their resumé look impressive, but after struggling through the first 3 years of high school, we know that filling up your resumé with random things you don't enjoy won't help you in the long run.

7. Being able to identify "fluff" or resumé builders like it's your job.

After going through the experience ourselves, we have become the champions at noticing when other kids join clubs just so they can add it to their resumé for college.

8. Coffee is your best friend.

There are days when every teacher decides to assign us work on top of all the college work we have to do, and the only thing that will really help you through it is a large cup of coffee.

9. Standardized tests are the worst, but they matter.

Yeah, they're the worst. 4+ hours in one seat is complete torture, but you should definitely take them. Study hard, pay attention in review sessions, and keep your mind on the test and only the test. Countless high school seniors wish they did better on their standardized tests -- don't be one of them.