What Someone Should've Said Before Starting Film School

Thing's I Wish I Would've Known Before Starting My Journey As A Student Filmmaker

5
Amanda Bovea

This one is for all of my student film people. From the grips to the P.A.’s to the hot shot director stepping on set for the first time. Remember, that no matter where you are on the food chain, you’re a cog to the machine that gets this film made. That being said, remember that we’re all here trying to accomplish one goal, and that’s making the best student film possible.

I’ve spent a fair amount on student sets. For the past three years, I’ve been everything from a director of photography to a P.A. Some jobs suck. Carrying sandbags in the florida sun in the middle of summer isn’t how most student filmmakers envision spending their summer break. But do it. Don’t make excuses on why you shouldn’t be on set learning. The most valuable experience you can give yourself is on set experience. It’s where you make mistakes, learn about working with others, and make valuable connections that will help you once you get off student sets and get on real ones.

I think the most important lesson I’ve learned was from one of my production professors; work hard, be kind to others, and don’t complain. Once you get to the end of your degree and people look up to you and ask for advice, give it to them. Sharing your knowledge and supporting others will never hurt you in the long run. These past three years on student sets has taught me that I still have a lot left to learn. But I’m ready to step out into the real world of film and get that knowledge that film school couldn’t teach me.

Peace and Love,

A