What Some Resident Assistants Want You To Know

Which is a big secret, so ssh....

28
Flickr

Usually, the resident assistants would tell you what you need to do, not do, and abide by when you have your hall meetings. However, each RA also has her own rules, her secret rules, that she cannot tell you because it's more of a personal pet peeve, or she's just too polite to say it.

1. Some of us have a guest policy of our own

Not gonna lie, I hate it when the girls on my hall bring their male guests over. I am just generally against seeing non-faculty/staff males on campus and I think it's because I'm generally uncomfortable around them. Sure they may be super nice and chill, but when I come out at 1 AM with my pajamas on and see some lost boy on my hall, the first thing I will do is to freak out. In a perfect world, I will just set very strict boundaries, like only bring your boys here on Saturday nights. They cannotstay past 12 AM in the dorms, or else I will call campus security and have them escort them out. As long as all my other residents are good with them, and as long as the boys don't cause trouble, I guess I will have to tolerate their existence. On the other hand, I am still suspicious and paranoid that one or two boys are on this hall right now...

2. We might like to party with alcohol too. But not with you.

When there are many freshman on our hall, we become alert to whether they are underage or not. Typically, freshmen are always the underage ones, so we will have to enforce the no drinking policy in resident halls. The truth of the matter is that deep down, we really don't care if you drink alcohol elsewhere, just not in the dorms. We don't want you influencing others to drink, and then they influence more people, and suddenly the whole campus is one drunken pool on Friday nights. Yes, some of us resident assistants drink alcohol too, on more than one occasion, and no, we will not invite you. We value our jobs and our ethics, so if you see us drinking, know that pretty much all of us are of age, and are thus able to legally drink. We are not afraid to call campus officers to take the bottle(s) of alcohol from you and then have them report you and your friends for drinking while underage. Heck, we might even be calling campo with our own bottle in the other hand (just kidding, we won't). The conclusion to this is to wait until you are 21 and then have all the bottles you want with your buddies.

3. Don't think you are smooth and all.

One semester, some freshmen decide that they want to drink a bottle of alcohol one of their uncles bought them. About 80% down, the RA for that hall noticed and contacted me. I quickly called campus security and he and I went to the room in question in no time. Though the girls got off on a warning, they will be under careful watch. After all if they do it a second time, I smell something far worse coming than a verbal warning. What this tells you is that regardless of whether or not you have the door closed or not, we will still notice telltale things of a violation in resident hall policy.

4. We try to do fun activities with our hall events, we really do.

We try to do something that all residents would like. The thing is that, during our first event, we will be concerned with the restrictions that apply to it. Sometimes, we could be thinking this super cool event where 99% of people would like and enjoy, but something about it isn't feasible. Whether it's money issues, schedule issues, and personal issues, not all of these cool ideas come to fruition. We try to send out emails because we want our residents to have some input on the events, and to get a gist of what we need in order to include everyone. Sometimes, we may have to downsize, because the initial event may become too costly, or there are too many people who dislike a certain aspect of it.

5. We like the drama, secretly.

You may think RAs are strictly professional, but do you know that some of us like the dramas that occur in resident halls? Especially when said drama involves the RA on call and that RA isn't you? Yes, that's us in a nutshell. Like 80% of the population, drama makes our day and when we have our little RA meeting, we will mostly be talking about the (not serious) dramas that we encountered, on and/or off duty. We don't hate you, or look down on you, we just want some fun in our life as resident assistants.