What You Should Know Before Entering Your Teenage Years

All you need to know before entering your crazy teenage years.

500
Google

How exciting? You are about to enter the best and worst years of your life. You have many wonderful things to look forward too! You have high school, a whole new group of friends, house parties, your first kiss, your driver's license, and your senior prom. There is so much to look forward too! However, I'm not promising a rose garden. Your teenage years are going to be some of the hardest years you will ever endure. There will be times you think you know everything and times where you don't know anything; and thats okay. This is my last year as a teen and I have learned many things. All the things I have learned, I learned from experience. Here are a few things I wish someone told me before entering my teenage years:

1. Don't lose yourself trying to be who others want you to be.

You're going to meet so many different types of people. There will be cliques all around you. Find the one you feel most comfortable with. Find the group of friends that love you for who you are. It is okay to out grow people, if you feel that a friendship no longer makes you happy or is toxic, it is okay to move on and find new friends.

2. School first.

You may be an amazing performer. You may be an amazing athlete. But now you are a student-athlete. Student first. Study for that test you have on Monday, it is okay to miss a party. I promise you in 4 years the same people will be at the same parties doing the same thing they were the weekend before. Get your head in the books and really try your hardest. Ask for help when needed. When you get the grade you worked so hard for I promise you will feel so satisfied. Also, if a test is open book you still need to study. You will waste time looking for all the answers and before you know it the test is over and you're on question 3.

3. Not everyone you lose is a loss.

You will be the luckiest person in your graduating class if you leave high school with more than 1 forever friend. You will lose people who will hurt you then act like you hurt them. It will hurt but you eventually you will realize they came into your life only to teach you a lesson.

4. Your family will constantly be on your back, but they are the only ones who will have your back.

We know, you're too cool to hang out with your family. Man, they are so annoying. But hey, they are your family. At the end of the day they are the people who truly want to see you succeed and be happy. They can be overpowering sometimes but they just want to see you successful and happy. They are your forever friends, your biggest support system.

5. Wear your heart on your sleeve.

I know, if you're a girl you can't love to hard because you will look clingy and annoying. And if you're a boy? Forget it! You can't love to hard, you will look too emotional and sensitive. Well, ignore all that. It sounds cliche but if you love someone you tell them and you tell them loud. You tell them before it is too late and you show them. Our generation is killing the meaning of true love, don't be one of those products.

6. Your high school breakup isn't the end of the world.

You are probably going to date someone and believe that you are in love. You may end up being high school sweethearts, and if you do you are one of the lucky ones. However, if you aren't as fortunate it is not the end of the world. Remember, it is okay to say no. You are not obligated to give your heart or body to anyone. Especially the senior with dark hair and light green eyes. It is okay to stay true to yourself and your values. Focus on your studies... love can wait. There will be someone who breaks your heart. You can shed those tears and watch all those love movies, go through boxes of ice cream and tissues, but then pick yourself up. Remind yourself better things are coming. You are one more heartbreak closer to your happy ever after.

7. You are not a body, you are a being.

Stop looking at yourself as a disaster. You are a work of art designed in your own unique way. Don't ever let someone else's perception of you change the way you view yourself. Eat that burger or eat that salad. Wear your makeup or let your natural contour shine. Do what makes YOU happy. You are under no obligation to please any one else in this world but yourself, remember that!

8. Do not let yourself be a victim. Do not let yourself become a bully.

You have absolutely no right to judge another human for any reason. If you don't agree with their religion, culture, sexuality or hair color. Anything that involves another person is not any of your concern. If you have nothing nice to say, don't speak at all. Your actions and your words are so powerful towards other human beings. Do not let that power be evil and negative. Bring positivity, kindness, and love into other peoples lives; for everyone is fighting a battle. On another note, do not allow yourself to feel self pity. Do not allow yourself to become the underdog. Demand respect. Prove others wrong. Don't ever allow yourself to feel like you aren't pretty enough, strong enough, or just enough. Don't allow yourself to feel worthless, there is so much to you. Do all things to make yourself happy. You can over come anything in life when you love yourself enough to over come the obstacles.

9. It gets better.

You are going to be stressed out. Wether it be school, sports, relationships, home life, careers, college, you name it and it will most likely be stressing you out. It never gets easier, you will always face multiple things that will stress you. More times than not you are going to be faced with multiple situations and obstacles that will stress you out. It never gets easier, but it does get better.

10. There is more to life than high school.

Trust me, who ever said high school is the best time of your life clearly never went to college. You are going to feel lost and insecure. You will be scared, stressed, and frustrated. Everyone is going to look like they have it all figured out, but they don't. Some people are just better at pretending they do. So you keep your head high and chin up. I promise you these 4 years do not define you. At graduation you get to close that chapter in your life and start a new one, you can even re-write your story. Have confidence in yourself. Just survive. Try to enjoy this crazy ride. Don't find yourself, create yourself. if you leave high school with at least one true friend, you did it right, you are a lucky one. Just hold on, do not give up... for better days are on their way.