13 Things To Do During A Panic Attack, From Someone Who Has Had Plenty

Just a little help to get you by.

251
Flickr

When I was a senior in high school, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder.

I would have panic attacks incredibly frequently, to the point where I didn't even want to leave my room. It then turned into me having a panic attack because I was afraid to have another panic attack - a brutal cycle.

As the years have gone by, I've overcome them, but on the rare occasion that I do have one, I've acquired a bunch of things to do to get me through them, and I hope it can help anyone that needs a little help getting through the thick of the storm.

1. Count to 100. And then do it again.

2. Call someone and try to have a conversation with them. I know it can be difficult to talk, but it's such a good distraction.

3. Put your headphones in and turn the volume all the way up.

4. GET A STRESS BALL. I cannot tell you how much doing something with my hands distracted me.

5. Chew gum. Or eat something. I used to get really light-headed during attacks, maybe you just need something in your system.

6. Watch a tv show or a movie on your phone. I know my go to was always Keeping Up With The Kardashians because it was mindless tv.

7. Look around the room and think of 5 colors you can see, touch or smell.

8. Play a game on your phone. You know, Temple Run or Bubble Witch.

9. Get up a walk around. If you're in class, go to the bathroom. Get yourself together.

10. Find a safe person. Someone who you know you can go to that understands and will be there for you.

11. Draw or doodle.

12. Close your eyes. I always panicked about passing out, what got me through it was the fact that you can't pass out with your eyes already closed.

13. Read something. Go on your phone and read through Twitter or your Facebook timeline.