15 Things Nobody Will Tell You About Your Freshman Year Of College

Nobody tells you how hard your first year truly is.

23
City of Brookings

Graduating high school is one of life's greatest accomplishments. Many people look forward to leaving their house and being on their own in college, but nobody tells you the reality of how hard the first year truly is. Well, I'm here to be brutally honest with you.

1. You will get homesick at some point.

Everyone does and if they say they don't, they're lying to you. It's okay to go home, just try not to make it a habit. Try to get used to your new surroundings.

2. It might take awhile to get over your homesickness...That's ok.

You will miss mom's home cooked meals and your furry friends from home a lot right away, but it does get better--It just takes time.

3. It might take awhile to find your people.

Finding the people you click with might take some time--Don't rush it. You can't make people be friends with you, so just be yourself and put yourself out there!

4. Don't rush to declare your major. You have A LOT of time.

Explore new things--take classes you would never see yourself taking just for fun. Freshman year is the time to find yourself and figure out what is interesting to you. You might think you like biology, but how do you know if you don't try other things?

5. You don't have to drink to have fun.

I'm not saying drinking isn't fun, but there are other ways to have fun too. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to drink and party.

6. You have to study.

In high school, it's okay to study 30 minutes prior to your test and do well...if you try that in college I don't think the results will turn out in your favor.

7. The freshman 15 is a real thing.

Don't rely on campus food for every meal. They might say it's "healthy" but I promise it isn't.

8. You will feel alone at times.

It's apart of moving out and growing up, unfortunately, but your parents are only a call away and they love hearing from you.

9. You won't be able to pack all of your clothes.

Your closet and dresser are not as big as the one you have at home. Pack seasonally and it will save you a lot of space.

10. Nobody cares what you wear to class.

If you want to wear the same shirt two days in a row, nobody will notice. Your MWF classmates aren't typically your TTH classmates.

11. Bring your ID with you everywhere.

Literally, everywhere. You will use it just about anywhere you go.

12. You'll be broke.

Most students can't manage to have a job and take on a full-time student workload, that's okay. Be smart with your money and be ok with not buying fancy things.

13. Don't take an 8 am.

Of course you could get up for high school at 8 in the morning...Trust me, an 8am class in college is horrid--Don't do it.

14. You will have to "adult".

Mom isn't here to buy your groceries or make appointments for you. You're on your own, kid.

15. It will go by fast, so make the most of it.

Your first year of college is full of changes and a lot of emotions--make the most of every second. Make it the best year you can!