What My Letters Give Me

What My Letters Give Me

Go Greek and find the letters that make you proud!

12
What My Letters Give Me
Jennifer Kirk

Before coming to college, and even during my first semester of college, I was dead set against joining Greek life. I fed into the stereotypes I saw in movies and read in magazines, and decided I didn’t feel the need to wear letters across my chest to feel loved and welcomed. But when three of my closest friends ended up going through recruitment and joining an organization, I realized that Greek life was almost nothing like Revenge of the Nerds or Animal House. Instead, I was able to meet all of my friends’ new sisters and my interest in Greek life grew more and more.

I know, reading articles about going Greek can be exhausting around recruitment time, but seriously. The day I received my bid from Zeta Tau Alpha was one of the best days of my life. In just four semesters, ZTA has given more than I ever expected. This is what my letters have given me, and I hope that each girl going through recruitment in the next few weeks is able to find the place where they will grow as women! Pick the place where your spirit will be bright, and your seeds will be watered!

First and foremost, my letters have given me the opportunity to un-apologetically be myself. Oftentimes, I can be loud, excited, and all together an overwhelming mess of a human. But the day I ran into the arms of my sisters, they were just as loud and overwhelming as me. My letters have allowed me to sing loudly, dance crazy, and laugh obnoxiously at just about any moment. They have allowed me to let my soul be open and free. And your sisters will, too!

My letters give me the chance to be a leader. When I was a new member, I knew immediately that I wanted to hold leadership positions in my organization. So when the time came for new executive officers, I applied and interviewed. My year is ritual chairman changed my life, both as a sister and a leader. Now, I serve as my chapter’s sisterhood chair, and there is nothing more gratifying than planning events for all of us and celebrating outstanding sisters each day!

My letters give me a constant, genuine support system. I had one of the worst days of my life last week, and was just in a fragile state. My sisters stayed up with me to cry, to laugh, to hug, to love. There have been times that I have snotted on other sister’s shoulders, and times when I am the one being snotted on. There is not a thing they would not do for me, and I would not do for them. My letters have given me a hand to hold and a smile to share.

And while Greek life is not for everyone, even if you have just a smidge of an interest, give recruitment a chance! Allow yourself to explore the possibilities of everlasting friendships! All Greek organizations have so many things to offer to so many men and women, and it is not something to miss out on. Go Greek and find the letters that give you pride each time you wear them.