What My Dog Taught Me

What My Dog Taught Me

More than I ever imagined

9
What My Dog Taught Me
Soul Conversation Photography

After getting a new puppy, much time was spent training the dog, when in reality it was her that taught me.

1. Never hold a grudge

You yell at your dog, they cower down in defeat, but two minutes later, they will love you the same as they did before. Be like a dog, forget the past and live in the present. Nothing but negativity comes from grudges. If there is truly something or someone you can't live with then move past it and forget them as a whole.

2. Family over everything

Every dog is protective over their family. They bark at the mailman, those waking by, and definitely those who approach the door and think about coming in. That is their natural instinct, too protect their family. Dogs also show loyalty to their family, losing their mind when you come home from work compared to a random person who offers a petting. While they do enjoy this, a family coming home from work is the best part of their day! Like dogs, I too put my family over everything. I would do anything to protect my family. They are my closest friends and strongest supporters, to put it simply my family is my rock.

3. A happy life is a good life

Dogs' lives are simple: eat, play, love, sleep. Have you ever seen a sad dog? Unless it's hurt they probably have a smile on their face! Be like a dog, despite the greater responsibility, be happy, be simple. Even a fake smile can lighten your mood! Everyone can live, but not everyone can enjoy the journey!

4. Don't bite the hand that feeds you

Dogs know where their food comes from and they would never do anything to disturb that. Like a dog, you shouldn't disrespect those that are helping you. Beggars can't be choosers, and no matter who is offering you that assistance, you should be grateful! This includes elders and those who come before you. It's no lie that with age comes wisdom. Learn from those around you with grace and gratitude.

5. Love unconditionally

Dogs don't care about how much money people make or their owner's appearance. They don't care about your car or your house or what degree of education you have. They simply love their owner's presence. They appreciate every time their owners walk through the door, whether that be from being gone five minutes or five hours. They love you regardless of your possessions or appearance. Be like a dog, and if you love someone, then love them with everything you have. But make sure you love them for what is hidden below their surface.

6. Jump in! The water is fine!

While this may not be true for all dogs, some love the water! Personally my dog doesn't think about the consequences she just jumps into the puddles, the creek, and even into to a lake! Live like that! If you want to do something do it! Don't worry about the repercussion, take chances, make mistakes, have fun! Sometimes the regret of not doing something weights more heavily that the effect of said action.

*Disclaimer: Doesn't apply to drugs*

7. Go with the flow

Whether you're working outside, taking a road trip, or leaving your pet behind, your dog loves every option. Be like your dog. No matter where life takes you, don't complain. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!