What Montville Cheerleaders Have Taught Me About Respect for the National Anthem

You learn something new every day.

89
St. Louis Rams

There has been a lot of controversy in the news recently about what to do and what not to do during the National Anthem. Colin Kaepernick has started to kneel during the playing of the National Anthem at NFL games around the country, as have many other football, baseball, and basketball players. Other athletes have started to raise their fists in protest of social justice and racial equality in support of Kaepernick and his movement.I would like to point out, however, that Colin Kaepernick and athletes across the country are protesting silently and have not been intentionally causing a disturbance. I strongly believe in his actions to make this country a better place and to raise awareness through the NFL, a medium through which millions of people every year communicate and interact. But there have been many repercussions of his actions: riots, threats to his life and to his family's lives, and also the possibility of his NFL career coming to an end. There has also been talk of his de-legitimizing the National Anthem and the way it is viewed around the world. Other nations have asked, if one of the United States' own citizens is protesting under the National Anthem, what is to say that other people and other countries won't as well.

Unfortunately, I have recently witnessed another action that, through my eyes, de-legitimizes the National Anthem and de-legitimized my views of high school athletics, specifically in Montville. Last week I was asked to take photos for Montville's football team and for the cheerleaders accompanying the team on the field. I was having a great time taking photos of the team warming up, of the cheerleaders working on their routine and performing for the student section. I was having a great time until, during the National Anthem, one of the Montville cheerleaders, standing closest to the flag, started to "dab" every time the cymbal and drums were played in the song. I realize that "dabbing" has become popular culture and a common reaction in many circumstances. The National Anthem is a serious representation of America's freedom and the hardships the United States has faced over the past 300 years. There is no place for "dabbing" or other disruptions when the National Anthem plays.

The United States has been identified as one of the most powerful countries in the world; as soon as we let a team of cheerleaders disrespect that title and disrespect a worldwide symbol of freedom and independence, we immediately submit to a childish generation who barely remember 9/11. They don't know what it feels like to be unsafe or to feel like their country, their home, was targeted and attacked because of the same freedom they disrespect every Friday night when they "dab" to the National Anthem. My uncle, great uncle, cousin and grandfather all served in the military. This act of disrespect directly affects me and my family and is a subtle slap in the face to my relatives, all those who have served and all those who are serving as we speak. It is a blatant disregard for millions of American lives who have fought and died for this country, and believed in what the American flag stands for.

Another point of disrespect is when other cheerleaders began to join in and started laughing, ultimately egging them on. I've learned, from watching the cheerleading team for the past four years, that they are a unanimous group. They are great at what they do and have an amazing record of doing well at competitions and bringing in national titles. But with this unanimous group, comes the idea that when one of them does something, they all do it too. Cheerleading is about conformity and doing everything together at the same time. Cheerleading is the epitome of team sports; they are always together, working to move and act similarly and to synchronize actions and words. That is a great goal when performing or when practicing, but when a team is expected to stand together in silence, for just over a minute, they are expected to do so.

The only other problem that I have with this issue is the fact that the coaches of the cheerleading team did not take charge or action in disciplining their athletes. Both coaches were present on the field at the time of the National Anthem and, although most likely were not condoning the behavior, were definitely not disapproving of it either. My main concern with this is, what the coaches haven't said to their athletes in other circumstances. The Montville cheerleading team has taught me that no matter how many people have died for a cause and continue to fight for a country's freedom, those who have no idea what it is like to be without freedom will always take it for granted. I'd like to ask the administration and the school board whether or not they knew about this incident. I also want to know if the cheerleaders have been doing this every week this season? Have they committed other insulting or disrespectful acts over the course of the past four years? Have the coaches spoken to them and have they been disregarded? What is happening on the field that we don't know about? What is happening with the football players and with every other sport that we don't know about? I hate to mention the fact that none of the football coaches, trainers, or statisticians said anything either. Did anyone see it? Did they see it and not care?