What It Means To Be A Big

What It Means To Be A Big

In the middle of my Little mess, I forget how Big I'm blessed
241

Everyone loves going through the process of becoming a big.

When I was first paired with my big, we were close, but not close enough to where we both wanted to be. Ever since the beginning of my time in our sorority, we have built our relationship to where we wanted and more. I can say she has been the best big ever to me. And because of her, I knew I was ready to take littles. I now have two littles that I love very much. They push me to be the best big I can possibly be to them.

Knowing how to be a big isn’t something that comes naturally, but knowing when you are ready to be a big is a feeling you instantly sense.

Being a big means always being there for your little…

Guide your little when she needs help or when things go wrong. Support her in everything she does and hopes to do. Be patient with your little. Showing your little that you will always be there for her will tighten the connection you two already share. She will know you will always be there when she needs you.

Being a big means being a good role model…

Know when to be your little’s best friend and when to be her mentor. Showing your little the best person you can be will push her to be the best person she wants to be. Remind her to appreciate the little things in life. Be the best big you can be for your little so she will know she can be the best big for her future little.

Being a big means teaching your little what it means to be a proud member of your organization…

Push (don’t be too pushy) your little to get involved and participate with your organization, so she will grow to love it more and more. Show your little the importance of ritual. Guide your little through her journey through college and being in the organization.

Being a big means being able to pick things up where they were when you haven’t seen your little in a long time…

No matter the distance or the time that has passed, you will always have that unbreakable bond with your little. Being able to talk to her as if you just saw her yesterday is the best feeling in the world.

Being a big means have fun with your little…

Be spontaneous with her. Create moments you two will always remember. Go out with her. Take lots of pictures. Do things together that you know you will both enjoy.

Being a big means showing your little how much you love her…

Listen to what your little has to say. Spoil her. Do anything to show your little you care. Tell her how special she is to you. Always love her. Be thankful for your little and all she does for you. Be the big sister she was looking for when she made the decision to join your organization.

There are only so many things you can say about being a big to someone who has never been a big. It is hard to express what it means to be a big in words because it is only something you can feel.

You can only hope that you have been the best big possible to your little and to hope that you have done as much as you could for her to the point where she will be the best big to her little.