What Made Me Decide to Become a Nurse

What Made Me Decide to Become a Nurse

And the lessons I learned from it.

49
What Made Me Decide to Become a Nurse
tvdaily.com

During my senior year of high school, I decided to enroll in a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program offered to students by the school district. The reason I entered the program was to get out of taking three different electives because I felt like I could make better use of my time elsewhere. As the youngest of three, I got a glimpse of how much more freedom comes with being a college student opposed to being locked on a high school campus for 8-9 hours a day by law.

I was antsy and more than ready to get out into the world and be treated like the adult I was expected to act like. Although my reasons for joining the CNA Program were mainly selfish, my intentions and obligations through entering the program were to work as hard as possible and take advantage of the unique opportunities laid out in front of me.

Throughout the program, my classmates and I acquired many new skills that we were expected to put to use in our clinical time and as future medical professionals. The lessons we learned weren't just lessons that are required to be observed in our careers, but also lessons that we should observe to further ourselves in everyday life. Here is what I learned while working as a CNA.

1. The Significance of Teamwork

One huge lesson I learned and one that I will carry with me for the rest of my career as I continue to work in the medical field. In day-to-day relationships and work, it is crucial to have teammates around who support you and want nothing less than success for you. Fortunately, the ladies I worked alongside with were some of the best people I have ever met in my life. I would be incredibly blessed to ever work with people who are as half as great as them.

2. I Take My Health for Granted

After my experience while working with the elderly, I gained a new perspective on life. I realize now how I am fortunate to be able to use every one of my five senses. My time working with the residents has made me a much happier person. Although it may seem like at times that everything in my life is going wrong, my experiences have led me to take a step back to see the bigger picture and reflect on the upside of life.

3. The Value in Being Patient

As a Certified Nursing Assistant, it is immensely important to stay patient when working with the resident or with any of the other staff. I didn't have a hard time with staying patient in front of the residents, but I did find that the work day went smoother and easier when I continually practiced having patience. My work wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be when I didn't feel the need to rush what I had no control over.

Although being a CNA is considered to be a lot of work and dedication, I have no regrets in choosing to be a part of the experience. My eyes have been opened to the many possibilities available out there as long as I am not afraid to make the first move.