What A Long Distance Relationship Taught Me

" I love you! " "I love you more!" "You better!"

18
Danielle Kobriger

It is said long distance relationships are doomed to not work out. I personally do not believe that one bit, mostly because my LDR worked out for two years until we finally were at the point in our lives where we could be together. LDR's are not easy by any means, it helps that our world is becoming so technologically advanced that we are able to video call, text, and snapchat. However, having enough ways to communicate with your partner is not going to make or break your relationship. What will determine if it works out is the effort and time you are willing to put into each other and your relationship.

Effort

Effort must be present from both ends equally. It does not work for one person to be putting in 90% while the other only puts in 10%. It needs to be equal because it is important that both partners feel appreciated and wanted especially since you cannot be together in person to show affection and appreciation.

Communication

After my LDR I cannot stress the importance of communication, not only communication, but effective communication. You need to be able to talk through disagreements and work them out civilly. Contrary to common belief, your partner cannot read your mind, you need to be able to express to each other and communicate what you feel and need from your partner.

Time

This is one piece of advice that I never truly believed until I was in an LDR. If a person truly cares about and wants you in their life they WILL make time for you and they will not make you feel like a burden. If you ever end up in a position with where they say the reason you two cannot work out is because they, "don't have time for a relationship right now" then walk away. If they truly want you in their life bad enough then they will make room in their busy schedule for you.

Independence

Independence is a good thing, it is healthy. Yes, it is nice for you and your partner to have common interests so then you two can enjoy activities together. However, it is equally important that you each have your own hobbies and your own group of friends. Two people need to be able to go about their life just as they did before one another, it is healthy to go out with friends some nights and take the time to focus on a hobby without their partner present.

Trust

Honestly, a relationship is nothing without trust. Their are two different types of trust that need be present for a relationship to work. The first one is trust that your partner will remain faithful to you and can say no to another person who is taking interest in them while they are with you. The second one is trust that your partner will always have your back, support you, and make you feel secure now and in the future.