What I Learned In My Teens

What I Learned In My Teens

There isn't anything a teenager doesn't NO.

23
What I Learned In My Teens
www.huffpost.com

As a person who has closed in on her last week as a teenager, I’m happy to congratulate myself on surviving teen pregnancy. Now here’s a few things I’ve gathered from my years of experience as a teenager.

1. Do Not Care What Others Think Of You.

As human beings, we’re constantly worrying about what others think of us. Think about it, when you fall in public, what’s the first thing you do? Laugh and pretend it didn’t happen? Sometimes. But most of the time, your eyes are nervously darting around the area to reassure yourself that no one saw you. The truth is, if they are watching and catch a glimpse of you falling to the ground, they’ll look away too.

2. Accidents happen. People forget.

When I was in the seventh grade, my flip-flop got caught on the top step when I was exiting the school bus, and I plummeted to the ground, face flopping the concrete. The two boys who got off at the same stop as me walked around my body, avoiding me at all costs, leaving me with my cut up knees and scratched face hugging the cement. Getting on the bus the next morning felt humiliating, and 99.9 percent of me wanted to walk to school, but it was too far. To my pleasure, no one said a word.

3. Your Parents Know What They’re Talking About.

We all want to believe we’re right at the ripe age of fifteen, but the majority of the time, we aren’t. Parents are there for a reason; their advice is raw and comes from personal experience. They wouldn’t “nag” you if they didn’t think it was for your benefit.

4. Friends are valuable.

Don’t let anyone or anything tear you and your friend(s) apart. They’re there to help you, have fun with you, and share their life with you. Some friends will come and go, but those who stay, cherish them.

5. Your first love will most likely NOT be your last.

It’s okay, heartbreak will happen. You’ll think it’s the end of the world, but it’s not. Your first love will always hold a special place in your heart. I promise the sun will come out tomorrow, and in due time, you’ll be your own favorite person in the world.

6. If You Want A Secret To Stay A Secret, Don’t Tell Anyone.

No matter how close you think you are to a person, this secret will most likely be so juicy that it would be a crime to not pass on. Be careful whom you tell your secrets to. Share with caution.

7. You Don’t Have To Have Everything Figured Out.

It’s okay to be confused, or not have the answers. People expect you to know who you are, what you want to be, and who you’re supposed to be in fifteen years. Meanwhile, all that we are used to is decision making being done for us for 18 years. Then, all of a sudden you’re an adult now and have to “make up your mind.” When you wake up every morning, you’ve been given an opportunity to live. Don’t let yourself down, get out there, and be bold.

8. There Will Be Tough Times.

Life will not always be so easy. You’ll have to do things you don’t want to do. Newsflash! Life is full of things you don’t want to do. There are obstacles for a reason. How you deal with them will show who you are as a person, and how to handle future issues without complication.

9. Don’t Be Afraid To Explore.

This is the time to find your niche! Try new things. Wake up early to watch the sunrise, try food you never would before, play a sport or take up dancing. Be spontaneous. Since you’re also at school six and half hours of the day or more, find out about becoming part of a club that perks your interest. Do things that make you feel good inside and avoid what doesn’t.

10. Embrace Change.

As a child, I thought everything would always be the same. I’d always aspire to go to sleep away camp and meet my twin sister I never knew about like Lindsay Lohan did, and happily ever after’s exist because Chase and Zoey from "Zoey101" would eventually get married. Your life is going to change; whether it’s drastically in the blink of an eye, or slowly over time. No one is perfect, and no one stays the same.

11. Don’t Rush Your Teens.

No matter how many birthdays went by, I just wanted to be older than what I was. The entire time I was a teen, I just kept wishing to fast forward to an imaginary futuristic “better time." To be honest, the better time is now. Live in the moments you have, and enjoy life. Although, being 21 sounds pretty dope…