What I Learned From My Adventure On The City Bus

We really shouldn't judge people who utilize public transportation.

16
autno.com

A little bit of background. I have multiple issues that prevent me from being able to drive. It's not lack of interest or unwillingness to work hard, trust me, I've worked hard. But it just isn't possible for me- it's a fact I've had to sadly come to terms with. Not being able to drive puts me in the unfortunate position of being at the mercy of whomever is willing to drive me anywhere. In high school I lived in a very rural town, and the public transportation wasn't very accessible to me. My freedom, depending on where I live, is very limited. It's isolating, discouraging, and, well, prevents me from a lot of experiences.

I no longer live in that rural town; I am now living in a very suburban area. Its public transportation is much more accessible. Thanks to the wonders of the bus routes, this year I am able to live with family and commute to my college. How great is that?

If you know me, you might have guessed that part of the reason I can't drive is due to anxiety. Whenever I got behind the wheel I would become very nervous- I even had a panic attack a few times. So, naturally, having to ride the bus would be just as nerve-wracking for me. And it was. Learning the routes and waiting for the bus at strange places with strangers is a lot to take in for me. Despite my reservations, I did it. A girl's gotta get her education, right? My dad rode the route with me a couple of times, and today I did it without any help (I would later find out my dad followed me with the car...I'm still his baby apparently). I sweated a lot and was uncomfortable for some moments, but eventually I relaxed and enjoyed the ride. I also made a few observations that I'd like to share with you.

For one, it would seem that a majority of the bus riders were in a similar boat as me. Adults with special needs that need to get somewhere. I met a young lady who seemed to be a lot like me who works at a local hospital. I saw a couple nurses, food service workers, etc. A lot of people are out there trying to make something of themselves, just like me. It was kind of a comforting feeling to see that I am not alone in my struggles.

Another thing I realized is that maybe we need to hold our tongues before we pass judgement on people who ride public transportation. And, more than that, before we pass judgement on poor people (I am aware that not everyone who rides the bus is poor, but it is probably a common assumption). Some of those people were going to a job. I'm going to get a degree to further myself as a human being. I'm sure you've heard the nasty comments. Comments about how someone is just going to collect welfare and never do anything with themselves, how poor people just "need to overcome their challenges" (yes, I've heard that said directly to my face...that young man got a very angry retort). Be kind. You don't always know someone's struggle.

And thank goodness for public transportation.