What I Learned In Dance Marathon

What I Learned In Dance Marathon

It's not about helping others - it's about helping yourself also.

4
What I Learned In Dance Marathon

I was a sophomore in high school the first time I donated my hair. It was something I never really thought about before, and it was something that just kind of happened in the moment. Within a matter of moments, the long hair I had spent years growing out was lying in the stylist’s hand. I had entered the salon with the intent to get a simple trim, and removing eleven inches of my brunette locks was anything but a trim. It was new for me - new in the sense of having short hair, but also new because it was the first time I had decided by myself that I wanted to do something to benefit and improve the life of someone much less fortunate than I am.

When I stepped onto my college campus for the first time, I only had heard of a few organization offered. I had a desire to join the club soccer team because I wanted to keep the one thing I was passionate about in my life. However, there was an event going on the weekend that caught my eye - a miniature dance marathon. The event sounded like something I had heard of before because I had a friend who was a year older than me participated in the group her freshman year. Soon, I learned just exactly what I was attending. It was a miniature dance marathon for the Dance Marathon organization. Dance Marathon is the largest student organization on campus dedicated to raising money for the pediatric cancer patients and their families at the children’s hospital located right beside the university. All the proceeds raised helps pay for necessities that are otherwise difficult to buy due to how expensive they can be. It sounded interesting to me, and I signed up by the end of September.

Within a matter of months, the Dance Marathon organization at my school became a part of my life in a way I never expected. Though the monthly meetings seemed to take hours upon hours to conclude, knowing that I was helping a poor child who lived less than a mere mile away from me overcome cancer was worth all the sitting. I was excited to give back to the community in a way that tops donating eleven inches of my hair. Over the course of a few months, I gained so much insight to what I would be expecting when I reached the Big Event. The Big Event is where all the dancers (like myself) come together to celebrate the lives of the children and remember the kiddos in our hearts while dancing for a continuous twenty-four hours. However, I learned so much more by the time I reached this activity, and I know plenty of my friends did also.

It takes time and effort.

When I was writing the biography on my online donation page, I proclaimed that I wanted to not only meet the goal of five hundred dollars, but I wanted to exceed it and reach close to one thousand dollars. It was a bit daring for my first years, but I thought that people would hear about it and donate. This wasn’t the case. One month before the Big Event, I had only raised of one hundred dollars. I was nowhere close to goal that allowed me to participate in the activity, let alone the personal goal I was striving to reach. The money just doesn’t magically appear one day in the account. To get it, one has to work for it and earn out. Soon, I was out canning every weekend in local neighborhoods, asking for money to support the children that would be donated through my account. I was able to raise enough money and even exceeded the goal the captains set for each and every individual in my group. However, I wouldn’t have been able to reach it if I didn’t donate my free time to spending hours in the cold asking strangers if they wanted to help pediatric cancer patients.

It’s worth the time and effort.

Dancing for twenty-four hours sounds scary. On the Thursday night before the event, I could already picture myself passed out on the dancefloor, sleeping my night away while surrounded by people and stepped-on food. Once I got to the event, though, I knew I wouldn’t be sleeping for awhile. The people in the room come alive when they see just how many individuals similar to them desire to come together to save the lives of pediatric cancer patients. They’re excited and “pumped,” as stated by my morale captain. It’s an atmosphere louder and crazier than any college football game. However, hearing the stories of the children that Dance Marathon has saved is where all the work is shown. It reveals just how much putting a small amount of effort into something can create a large outcome. The money raised - even if it’s a few dollars - helps the families leave the hospital with a healthy kiddo and cheap bill. When they are telling their stories on the stage and tears form in their eyes, the sound of hearts fluttering can be heard throughout the ballroom. It’s the sound of happiness and love, and it’s something beautiful that everyone should get the chance to experience.

There is no reason why someone shouldn’t participate.

When I thanked my parents for donating to the cause, my mom responded that she was happy to do it because she was supporting children with cancer. I think the phrase “children with cancer” alone should motivate an individual to either participate in the organization by being a dance or at least donate a few dollars to it. No one ever knows how their future will play out, and they may end up someday being the parent of a little child who receives the proceeds to pay for their treatment. It doesn’t hurt to give back to the community either, and this is a great way to do that. I understand that some people suffer from financial difficulties and may be unable to do so, but I can’t think of any other excuse that should stop someone from trying to save the life of a kid.

There are plenty of other things I learned in my first year of being a dancer in the Dance Marathon organization at my university. However, I don’t have the ability to describe them on the level some other individuals can. I can state that cancer is horrible, but I never experienced it. I can say that I ran to support the children at the hospital, but I didn’t run a marathon like some of the leaders. That doesn’t mean I am disappointed with myself because I didn’t learn more. I learned so much and I’m excited to see where the next three years take me within this awesome opportunity of an organization. For now, I’ll stick with creating reasonable goals and cutting my hair off every few years to donate.