22 Things I've Learned By Being The Only Girl

I have my own personal bodyguards.

220

Growing up, I was the only girl in the family. Well, kid-wise. I grew up with my older brother, two older cousins, and one younger cousin, who were, of course, all boys. We all lived on the same, tiny block in Staten Island, New York. Our days were filled with playing kickball in the street, hide-and-seek, digging for worms in the dirt, and arguing with our parents to come inside. Needless to say, they turned me into quite the tomboy.

Although I used to always wish I had another little girl to play with, there are so many advantages of growing up as the only girl:

1. Extra attention.

2. More lee-way when in trouble.

3. I became a great athlete at almost every sport.

4. I learned not to fear everything I see.

5. I learned how to fight my own battles.

6. I will always have my own, personal body guard(s).

7. I learned how to be tough.

8. I learned not to take everything so seriously.

9. I learned how to be more care-free.

10. I learned how to handle a boy’s anger.

11. I get spoiled with girly things.

12. I am and always will be considered the “angel.”

13. I will always have someone there for me.

14. I learned that guys really are better friends.

15. I learned that boys are just as sensitive as girls, if not more.

16. I learned from their mistakes.

17. I’ve always been updated on the best music.

18. I know all the greatest movies, not just romantic-comedies.

19. I will always have someone to make fun of me and annoy me.

20. I will always have someone to argue with.

21. I will always have someone to compete against.

22. I will always be loved and protected.

Even with all the boy-activities I have grown to know and love, I still have girly-girl tendencies, interests, and hobbies. Similarly to my aunt who had the three boys, I love shopping, getting my nails and hair done, make-up, decorating, etc. However, I still choose not to label myself as neither a girly-girl nor a tomboy . Rather, I consider myself extremely unique, because I was able to experience the best of both worlds. I am the girl who loves to get dressed up and listen to Eminem while getting ready. Netflix and chill? Sure, but Mafia or action movies only. Sports? I love watching, but I’m going to curl my hair and get a manicure before I go to the game.

Being the only girl in the family has certainly shaped me into my own unique personality. The people who have surrounded me have shaped me into the person I am today, and I have learned to love who I am and accept that my interests may come across as different, for the simple fact that I am a girl. On top of the boys contributing to me finding my true identity, I also know that I will always have them to love and protect me, no matter what.