What It’s Like Trying To Find A Job As A New Mom

If you are looking for a job as a new mom, you also have to factor your baby into it.

8
Cat Gorman

Being a new mom makes a lot of things more difficult. For instance, going to the bathroom is a lot harder when you have to carry a crying baby while doing so. Every choice that you make, big or small, affects both you and your baby. If you are breastfeeding and you have a cup of coffee for breakfast, your baby is going to be sucking down that caffeine later. If you are a new mom looking for a job, you have to factor your baby into it. What is that like? Well, let me tell you how it is for me. Every situation is different, but this can give you a feel for how hard it can be, depending on your circumstances.

1. I cannot afford to hire a babysitter unless I get paid a certain amount. Finding a job that pays enough, that I am qualified for, and that is close enough to home (I am not driving an hour both ways to get to work) is extremely hard. Then, when I get a few companies interested in me, most of the time I have to turn them down because either I a) cannot get there when they have interviews or b) have to decline based on how much they are willing to pay. After all, I only know of one job site (Indeed.com) that allows me to sort jobs based on how much they pay…but only if I am using my laptop. Their mobile app doesn’t offer that service.

2. Some jobs just do not offer hours that are conducive to raising a child. I cannot work night shift all week because I have to make sure I put my son to bed. I also have to get up twice during the night to feed him, burp him, change his diaper and put him back to sleep. I cannot work a job that expects more than 40 hours a week from me. I have to be there for my son and working more than 40 hours a week would seriously take away from that. I also cannot be too flexible, because my son comes first. As I said before, I can’t afford a babysitter for when work calls me on a whim and asks me to come in. I can’t very well leave my 2 and ½ month old baby to fend for himself, so I am out of luck.

3. I am not getting many job offers. Of course, that is pretty standard. People tend to be pretty strict about who they hire, and for good reason. They want someone who they feel can do the best job possible, and they would prefer it if the job candidate had previous experience so training would not be necessary. However, a lot of college students don’t have a lot of training. They apply for entry-level jobs in order to get that kind of training that can lead them up the ladder to their dream job. I have that same problem, as I finished my last final just one day before I went into labor. I can’t apply for upper-level jobs because I just don’t have the experience required. However, even entry level jobs nowadays require you to have at least 2-3 years of previous experience, if not more. That makes it extremely hard for the average college graduate to find a job. If that graduate is also a new mom, that makes it even harder.

I know that I will eventually find a job, but for right now I am pretty frustrated with the process. I have to have faith, however, that God will provide me with a job. He is good and kind, and he takes care of those who love him. If you are struggling to find a job yourself, whether you are a mom or not, I wish you the best of luck. May God be with you.