What It's Like To Be A Christian In A Non-Christian College

Experience from a Christian attending a research university.

31
Michelle Watt

I grew up in a small town, located in the Central Valley, Parlier, California to be exact. I was never used to a diverse culture that brought up question towards my morals.

I am not writing this to criticize or to gloat, it is just a personal experience I have been going through and I would like to share my experience.

Growing up, I was strictly brought up in the church, my family was devoted to being involved. Everyone who knew me, knew I was under a lot of strict rules, and when I was allowed to go out, I had to call my parents every hour. My friends thought it was hilarious, but I knew my parents meant business.

As time came near to apply to college, I did consider attending Bible school, but didn't know what I would do if I went. I ended up applying to eight school and getting accepted into six. Of course, my options were great, and I had that amazing opportunity to chose where I wanted to live and go to school. To this day, I still don't understand why I chose UC Merced, but I don't regret that decision one bit. Anyway, I gave the news to my parents that I wanted to go to Merced. If you know the Central Valley, you'll know Parlier is less than two hours away from Merced. I will be perfectly honest, it was a hard transition going from a small high school to a larger university of a few thousand people.

The first thing most of us Christian students have looked for are Godly friends and a church to attend. We must have a place to be able to unwind, ask for advice and be able to continue our faith of walking with God, by still continuing to learn about him. It is an interesting process, but we do what we have to do, to continue to grow in the eyes of God.

The hard thing about being a Christian is sometimes it can be a bit scary to share your faith with your friends, especially if they are non-believers. Too much can cause them to think you are trying to convert them to Christianity, and too little information, you're questioned as to whether or not you believe in God. It is very hard to satisfy people, especially when it comes to a controversial conversation about your faith. So we have to be extremely careful with our words, but we are always willing to answer any faith-based questions. As Christians we are always ready to share the word of God, but as students, some of us get a little intimidated to share, and we rather stay quiet than anything else.

Personally, I always get the question "Why don't you cuss?" In my mind I think, well, it's because of some friendly influence from James 3:8-12, but then realize not everyone reads the Bible. My answer is always, "Well, I don't feel the need to cuss, it does nothing for me, and I'd rather not." But there have been times out of frustration or anger, words have slipped out of my mouth. But it's always an interesting question that comes up.

Lecture, I would have to say was my first experience, where I knew I was going to have a problem with the ideals being taught, it contradicted with much of what I believed in. It was pretty clear the professor was an atheist, and for a Christian, its a hard thing to try and understand. When we believe in the supernatural, and have a huge dosage of faith and Jesus to carry out our daily lives. In lecture, most of the time something contradictory is always stated. As a Christian, I have always shrugged it off and asked God for help to understand. To be understanding and loving is a huge part of the Christian faith, it isn't a competition to yell in people's faces to distinguish yourself as someone better. Although, sadly, there are people out there who think that way. But I assure you, we are very nice people.

Sometimes, it is hard, and it is a struggle to be a Christian, especially in college. You don't feel like you don't belong, but I know I am OK with that (John 15:19). Being a Christian student is an interesting experience, but I have loved every second of it, because it has made me a better person. And I have continued to learn from my mistakes and challenges.