What It's Like Having Long Distance Best Friends

How to learn to live without your best friends.
616

Everyone has that best friend that lives super close to them and they see each other every day, but most people also take that for granted.

In high school, the main topic of conversation is how excited everyone is to move out and to go to college, especially this time of year when we are so close to summer.

That is extremely bittersweet though. If your story is anything like mine, college means moving away from your best friends and meeting new best friends who live on different ends of the country. Long distance friendships mean not talking every day, communicating mostly by texting, trying to find new best friends who compare to your old ones, and learning to be you without your shield of friends who became family.

One of the most difficult parts about leaving your best friends for college is getting used to not talking on an everyday basis. Going from seeing each other every day, and taking it for granted, to sometimes texting every day is hard, but it helps you find out who you are. As a freshman in college, all of the people around me and I are all trying to find out who we are.

Everyone was put into an old dorm, with a ton of new faces, and sometimes, none of your friends. This was the case for me, and although it was hard and getting used to being without my best friends was tough, it has helped me to find out who I am. Along with that, I have made new friendships and found new best friends.

The difficult part about meeting best friends at school is that you are together every day for 2/3 of the year, and then you leave each other in May, and go months without each other. In my case, some of my best friends literally do live on the other side of the country as me. After learning how hard it is to move away from my best friends, I have also learned to appreciate my time and to live in the moment.

Learn to live in the moment and don't take for granted the amazing people that you are surrounded by!