Being A Freshman At Adrian College

Being A Freshman At Adrian College

A look into the lives of the baby Bulldogs

52
Being A Freshman At Adrian College
Kasey Davis

Although I do not attend Adrian College anymore, I spent two and a half years on that campus and let me tell you something: I had the time of my life and met some forever friends in those years.

Coming in my first year was pretty scary, I had graduated from high school with a class of 68 kids and a town where everyone knew you and your family. I did not travel very far from home, but it was still crazy thinking, "I don't know any of these people". Luckily for me (and probably everyone else in my class), someone found out most of the students that were in the incoming class (thank you Aaron Rosen) and created a Facebook page so everyone had a chance to talk to their fellow classmates and drop their snapchat and Instagram names. You find out who your first roommate will be and you are so excited to talk to them, maybe you will meet up before move-in day. You will love them or hate them, or you will hate to love them. Even though we only lasted a semester living together, I still consider my first roommate a sister almost three years later <3 You truly do find your "family" at college.

Being a freshman at Adrian college means coming to campus a week before everyone else so you could get the feel of campus without being heckled by the upper classmen, welcome to welcome week. Thanks to the football players, we got all of the heavy things moved in without a problem. We met our new friends, scheduled classes, did volunteer hours, and most importantly...Chicago. We found out which frat we wanted to party at and for the boys, which one you wanted to rush. While we were in Chicago, the upper classmen moved in. This was pretty scary but we all found our big brothers and big sisters who helped make it a little less scary.

Being a freshman at Adrian College means living in "the quad" and you have your choice between Feeman (all boys), Stevens (all girls), and Powell or Davis (both co-ed). You are surrounded by all of your new friends and all plan to meet up at the sand volleyball courts or the hammocks to hangout. You'll meet in the middle to go get food at Ritchie or Caine, or walk to classes together so you don't look silly walking alone.

Being a freshman at Adrian college means your first Caf night. This is what everyone looks forward to on Thursday nights, this is what makes waking up for your 9 AM class on Friday so freakin' hard. The Caf is not the cleanest place, it's just a little hole in the wall...but it is OUR little hole in the wall. We got all dressed up and pre-game because we knew as soon as we hit the entrance, we got the big black X's on our hands letting everyone know that we were under age. We befriended the caravan drivers that took us to and from Caf and thanked them for getting us back safely, or offered them a beer (they will always say no by the way, trust me)

Being a freshman at Adrian college means pronouncing Valade wrong until an upper classman hears you and corrects it. It means getting lost in the buildings the first couple weeks of classes. Everyone can tell you are a freshman because you wear your AC lanyard with your student ID on it, around your neck. Also, they can tell you're a freshman when they see you running to class from across campus (don't be that guy, they don't care if you're late).

The only bad thing about being a freshman at Adrian college, most of your friends will transfer after a semester or a year. The person you did everything with will have a change of heart and leave, which makes it so you have to brave it alone or make new friends the following semester. I was there for two and a half years and I can honestly say that my freshman year, was my favorite and most memorable year.

If you are looking to be a student at Adrian college, this is what it's like your first year.