What It Takes To Be A Collegiate Athlete

Free time? What's that?

13

I wonder if there are words that really prepare you for playing a collegiate sport, because if they're out I'd love to hear them. Growing up, playing ball was fun and exciting even when your earliest games started with you waking up in a hotel room with your mom and dad sleeping in the other bed. Walking down at 5:30am to eat breakfast with your half awake teammates and your fully awake parents (asking you too many questions) really made for some attitude adjustments. Even better, being on a team with players whose goals were just as big as yours. In return, making it to the next step to play the game you love. And that was college ball.

The lessons learned while you were younger didn't seem to show until that first college coach came up to you to talk about attending their college. Your nerves and anxiety had to be in check before you spoke to someone you thought was greater than gold. Which, at that time, they were. You saw their hats or pullovers that beamed their college logos and said to yourself, "Hit this ball as hard as you can." And there it went. Or it didn't. But at that stage of the game, keeping your composure was all it took. As long as you looked good, you were good. Especially, if they saw that you were respectful on and off the field. Meaning, you carried your own bag, thanked your parents if they tried to take it from you and YOU continued to carry it, walked around with your uniform on with pride, showed your willingness to learn from your coach, and most importantly, being on your best behavior while being entirely yourself. And that is hard when you're a teenager and all you can think about is where your parents are going to take you out to eat.

But nothing, I MEAN NOTHING, will give you greater joy as a teenager growing up with a countless amount of missed birthday parties and family get together's than to receive an athletic and academic scholarship to play. All the time and money spent by you and your parents are finally given back in the form of an education and the last four years of play. How crazy is that? Think about it, 2 practices a week based in other states in order to play competitively and efficiently. I almost wish I took count of all the miles traveled and the amount of time spent in a car. But that is such a blessing. Although, being cranky to your parents in a car is hard because you're stuck there listening to what you did wrong for the next three hours.

And the best part of it all... picking the right school. YOU are in control of your life now. You picked where you wanted to go, how much committed time you wanted to give, and the relationships you'd eventually have with your teammates. You determine all of that. And playing travel ball was a wonderful gateway into truly knowing what you'd be like in college ball. If you dreaded waking up at 9 a.m. for practice during travel ball, you'd need to get a reality check because you'll have 6 a.m. workouts before everyone else on campus is awake. But those are the sacrifices all players that love what they do, make.

Having a busy schedule is life. You're always going to have times where you don't have enough moments to take in a full breath. You just have to talk it out and make clear decisions on what is important to you. Giving up a lifelong hobby or getting the extra 1 hour of sleep? It isn't easy but it can be. Especially if you're giving your best effort to get better for your teammates and your parents who helped you get that far. Because without them, you wouldn't have been able to do any of it.

My bit of advice is this, make sure you love the people you surround yourself with in college and on your team. They are going to be the driving force behind your efforts and satisfaction. For the moment when you think you can't do it for yourself, do it for the person with the same name on their chest. But then play for that little spark in your heart that has been lit for 16+ years. Once you do those two things, you'll win. And the next greatest feeling is walking off the field as winners of your conference and record breakers; as a full and complete team.