What It Means To Be A College Christian

What It Means To Be A College Christian

Jesus loves the little children [and college students]

12
What It Means To Be A College Christian
Brittany Young

It means that every semester as I prepare my supplies I know that my Bible is the only true required textbook. Everything else pales in comparison to the history and truth wrapped in the pages of the living word. I find a space in my dorm and my heart for Jesus.

It means that even though my backpack is as heavy as everyone else’s, my heart is lighter because I do not have to handle everything alone. I can send my cares and worries to God. No matter how alone I feel during late night study sessions I know that God is by my side. I know that I am loved regardless of the letters on my transcript and that my value to the world is not dependent on my academic success. I have already been accepted into the graduate school of heaven and employed as a follower of Christ.

It means that my beliefs will often be tested by others. I will not bend to the professors who proclaim my faith is impossible. Or the peers who cannot conceive that an intelligent person could believe in such ‘nonsense.’ To those people, I will let the love of Christ shine through me so that maybe one day they will understand that being a Christian is more than just blindly accepting the words in a book. My religion is not a punchline of some joke; it’s a lifestyle.

It means that I am a human. And sometimes a hypocrite. I too fall to the temptations of college life even though I shouldn’t. I do not pretend to be perfect, but I do try to show my faith through my actions. When I fail to follow God and hold myself to His commandments I ask for forgiveness. And I am forgiven by the grace of God. He can use me to do his will in spite of and because of my past sins. No matter how many times I fall off my Christian degree track I will still graduate on God’s time. He is the best advisor a student could have.

It means that I pray for my friends...a lot. Not just the ones that ask. Not just the ones that believe. I see them struggling with the pressures of school, work and other outlets and ask God to help. I don’t do it for glory or recognition, I do it because it’s what Jesus would do. My faith isn’t for me to brag about my relationship with God. My faith is for me to share so that others can come to know Christ as their Lord and Savior.

It means that although at some points in the semester it feels like I am walking through the valley of the shadow of death from the 23rd Psalm, my shepherd is beside me through it all. When I feel like I am spread too thin with commitments to academics, work, clubs, friends and more, He is there for me. I can feel His presence as I study for exams and His comforting arms around me reminding me that we can accomplish anything together. I make time for God and church regardless of how busy I am because I know that when I do, He makes time for everything else. I surrender my life to God and allow Him to guide me on the path of righteousness.

It means that my education is for God’s use, not mine.