What It's Like To Be An "Old Soul" In Your Early Twenties.

Told with the help of "Parks and Rec".

468
EW

Being an old soul in your early twenties surrounded by your millennial friends and peers in this day and age can be a bit strange at times. Comparatively, being an old soul amongst the young adults can be an interesting perspective. Growing up the oldest among siblings and growing up rather quickly compared to other kids, I've learned my place is having a more mature perspective. Here are some ways you may be an old soul.

1. You're the mature figure everyone looks to for advice.

All your friends, peers, and younger siblings look for advice from you. They know that you've either most likely experienced what they are going through, or can give some type of advice. Even strangers think you are approachable and wise.

2. You are the "mom" of your friend group.

Your friends all know they can turn to you when needed, and that you will do everything in your power to take care of them. Whether it is taking care of them when they are sick, intoxicated or just sad, they know you are there for them.

3. You sleep all the time.

Being an "old" soul requires a lot of sleep to be able to tackle each and every day. You're mentally older so your body needs to catch up for all those years. You're basically a grandparent without grandchildren, or any children at all. Naps can be a day changer.

4. You have certain shows every week that are a routine.

Just like any old person, you watch your favorite shows routinely every week. They may not be soaps, but they definitely are on your DVR and ready to go.

5. You love vintage things, and believe you were born in the wrong era.

Old school movies about different time periods may be your favorite thing ever. Memorabilia, fashion and pop icons, culture, and artifacts from back in the day excite you and you probably have a favorite era (cough 1950's cough).

6. You often get confused looks when people find out your age.

People mistake you for older all the time and when they find out your real age they are shocked.

7. You dig older people.

Whether it is dating or friend wise, you can easily get along with people older than you.

8. When among people the same age, you often are looked at to take charge.

Projects, responsibilities, work-- all things your peers look to you to do and take leadership on.

9. You have an old school mind set.

You love the idea of someone walking to your door after a date, or the typical "dinner" out to eat experience and all those other cute cheesy ways to handle life.

10. You have progressed a little faster through life than most your age.

You probably were the first to get your permit or license. Maybe you own your first car or have your own place. Either way you're admired for it, and don't mind it.

11. Saving is what you live for.

Instead of blowing your extra cash on fast food, you love to save it for not only bills, but for a travel fund or for a new vehicle.

12. You're in school for the right reasons.

You didn't go to school just to party; you went so that you could experience college, and further your education and career options. You love the friends you've made so far and all the fun, but you never lose sight of your academic goals.

13. Some of your favorite activities are so "old" of you.

You love reading, writing, drinking coffee, taking digital pictures on a camera or even more old school... a Polaroid.

14. No matter what you can still get along with the cool kids.

No matter how "old" you are mentally, you can always go out and have fun and act your age.