What it is Like to Actually Buy Kylie Jenner's Lip Kit

All hail King Kylie.

74
Seventeen.com

This previous summer, I spent my life trying to become Kylie Jenner. I procured my Tinder photos to reflect her style. I perfected the pout, bought all black clothes, and tried to gain a Kylie-like Instagram presence.

There should be no surprise that when she came out with her Lip Kit, I, like many of her fans was overjoyed.

Kylie has had products in the past that she created herself or promoted, but none of them were affordable enough for her everyday follower. Her hair extension line runs from $200 to $300. The Artís Oval 10 makeup brush she promoted sells for an average of $75. No, thank you, but a liquid lipstick and a lip liner for $30? That’s something I could easily get behind.

I talked myself into buying one the first day it came out, but I was too late. The first round of Lip Kits sold out in less than a minute. I kept trying every time after, but the website would crash or I would be a few minutes too slow to get my hands on what I wanted. I finally settled and said I would buy any Lip Kit that wasn’t sold out. Still no help.

I eventually gave up and convinced myself that I could get way cheaper lipstick in close to the same color, and I was totally OK with that for a little while, until someone I was close to got one.

My roommate, who is also obsessed with the Lip Kits, was able to order one over the past spring break, and got it quickly in the mail one week later. She let me borrow it, and I knew I had to have one. The formula was so unique and the color was like no color I had ever seen in a lipstick. I spent the next week plotting how I could get my own, once again.

The most recent restock, I decided to try again. The Lip Kits were set to restock at 7 P.M. I knew I had to be somewhere with good Wi-Fi, so my dorm was completely out of the option. I drove to a bookstore around 5:00 P.M. and decided to get some homework done before I tried to order the Lip Kit.

I opened up the tabs of the colors I wanted, Dolce K and Koko K, so I could refresh the page as soon as it turned 7:00 P.M. I put the computer aside and opened my textbook, but it was difficult for me to focus on anything but the time.

I found myself ridiculously counting down the minutes for two whole hours, getting more and more stressed the later it got. When it finally hit 7:00 P.M., I refreshed my pages quickly, but was redirected because the website crashed. I quickly typed the url again and got to the page I needed.

I had so much adrenaline when I made it this far that I was practically shaking. I was scared I’d type my address or credit card information wrong, and I wouldn’t get it after all. As soon as my payment processed, I checked my bank account and saw that the money had been taken out of my account and felt so relieved.

Kylie Jenner's promotion of her products on her social media is genius. She posts photos of her Lip Kits and updates daily, keeping her fans always on their feet. This restock sold out of every single shade in 30 minutes, so it obviously works. I am just one of many who sat at their computers waiting for her product to drop. Now all I can do is wait for the day my pretty little package comes in the mail.