Drugstore Lipsticks For Fair-Skinned Beauties

Affordable lip colors that don't completely suck.

10800
Megan Higgins

When I was a baby and people pointed out how pale I was, my mom used to (and still does) say, "She's not pale, she's ivory!"

Finding quality makeup on a budget can be difficult, especially if the closest shade of most powders to your skin tone is "Translucent." I've got a pencil box (excellent way to store lipsticks, BTW) full of lipsticks that I have acquired over the years trying to find shades suitable face that has always closely resembled that of a porcelain doll, just with a lot more freckles.

I swatched each of my most inexpensive drugstore lip colors to help other fair-skinned gals find the best lip color options, beginning with lighter nude shades and ending with darker reds, with a bonus addition of my new favorite lip product.

1. Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipstick- 705 "Let's Get Naked"

This is probably the glossiest of the lipsticks that I own, but it's more creamy than sticky so I can tolerate it. The color is a perfect neutral for everyday wear with a sweet pink tint.

Score: 7/10

2. Rimmel London Show Off Matte Lip Velvet - 206 "Atomic Rose"

Liquid lipsticks are quickly becoming my new favorite, and this Rimmel London line is a great option. This shade is the closest thing I've found to a "nude" shade on myself because every nude I've ever tried is still a good bit darker than my skin. The trick for this product is to apply a layer, blot, then repeat.

If you don't blot, it will remain shiny and tacky and you won't achieve the intended matte look. Applying two layers ensures that you get a solid color application.

Score: 6/10

3. Wet 'n Wild Megaslicks - 164A "Caffeine Fix"

This is darker than a traditional nude shade, but the brown tone is still suitable for a casual everyday look. As a gloss stick, it is more moisturizing than traditional lipsticks and less pigmented so it requires less upkeep throughout the day to keep it looking even.

Score: 5/10

4. Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm - 216 "Cupcake Twist"

I am definitely not this lipstick's biggest fan, but I still whip it out from time to time when it want a sweet pink tint without the commitment of a more pigmented lipstick. The color is nice but the texture is not ideal. It has a gritty feeling, most likely due to the itty bitty shimmery bits, that keeps it from feeling as smooth and comfortable as most gloss sticks.

Score: 3/10

5. Maybelline Color Whisper - 30 "Pin-Up Peach"

This was the first "grown-up" lipstick that I ever owned and I've managed to hold on to it long enough to use the entire tube. It is just pigmented enough to give your lips a rosy sheen and keeps them moisturized so that the color doesn't appear cracked or blotchy.

Score: 9/10

6. Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick - 006 "Pink Blush"

This lipstick is not as soft and moisturizing as many others, but the color is long lasting as promised. If we're being honest, this color makes me cringe, but I do get a lot of compliments so it's very possible that my distaste for pastel hues on fair skin is more of a personal preference. I encourage you to experiment with lighter shades like this one to find out how you feel about pastels paired with your skin tone to find the best fit.

Score: 4/10

7. Covergirl Colorlicious Lipstick - 400 "Guavalicious"

This is probably the only truly pigmented pink that I've found that I really like on myself, most likely because it has a teensy bit of a coral tint. (Can you tell I'm not much of a pink person?) This color definitely won't last all day without a reapplication here and there, but it's a smooth, comfortable lipstick that won't dry out or crack.

Score: 7/10

8. e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick - 22148 "Movie Star"

The e.l.f. gloss sticks are a great option to add a slight tint to your lips for a casual look or to add tinted moisture on top of another lipstick, particularly matte lipsticks that tend to dry out your lips quickly.

Score: 4/10

9. Real Colors Lasting Lipstick - 516296 "Shock It To Me"

As you can see, this red lip does not wear well on its own. I purchased it on a whim at Sally's and rarely wear it because the color is not very pigmented so it appears splotchy. It also has more of a hot pink undertone that I'm not a huge fan of on fair skin.

Score: 2/10

10. Rimmel London Show Off Matte Lip Velvet- 505 "Burning Lava"

This matte liquid lipstick is a part of the same line as No. 2 and should be applied the same way. As far as reds go, this one is brighter than I anticipated but still works for my skin tone. However, it doesn't work well without a red stain or liner underneath as the color doesn't last as long as its nude counterpart.

Score: 5/10

11. Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Color- 645 "Red Revival"

As far as true red lip colors go, this is my favorite. It is glossy and very pigmented without feeling heavy. In the photo above it is being worn alone, but like most darker shades, it pairs best with a lip liner and/or stain.

Score: 7/10

12. Wet 'n Wild Silk Finish Lipstick - 536A "Dark Wine"

This lipstick literally cost me $0.99 and it's my favorite red/wine that I have ever worn. I think that reds with this wine/plum undertone work much better with fair skin than those with a true red or orange undertone, and this one, in particular, has great pigment and can even survive a meal without needing to be reapplied. I generally wear it over a wine colored lip liner, but it can even be worn alone without bleeding.

Score: 8/10

BONUS - My Personal Favorite (Drumroll, Please) ...

13. NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick- 04 "Soft-Spoken"

I could happily wear this liquid lipstick every day of my life. NYX's Liquid Suede and Lip Lingerie lines are so smooth and creamy and can be worn thicker for a glossier effect or blotted with a napkin for a more matte look. When paired with the NYX Suede Matte Lip Liner in a corresponding shade, it can easily last all day. NYX is a favorite of mine because they have so many great products that make excellent dupes for higher end products- I even prefer this duo over Kylie Jenner's "Dolce K." I was able to find my Liquid Suede in "Soft Spoken" and Suede Matte Lip Liner in "Mauve" for around $11 total at my local mall! You will never find a more fabulous and inexpensive line of lip products at Sephora than this one.

Score: 9/10

Pro Tips:

Moisturize - It is important to apply any lip color to lips that are properly moisturized and exfoliated so that your color will go on evenly and won't gather on any cracks or dry spots on your lips. If you're wearing a lipstick that tends to be drying, like many mattes can be, try topping it with a clear balm or a tinted one like this one.

Stain - Lip stains can be particularly helpful underneath darker or red shades that tend to be more noticeable when they wear off or get splotchy. Lip stains give you an even base that resembles the color that you are applying on top. I prefer to use e.l.f.'s Essential Lip Stain in "Crimson Crush" under my red shades and "Nude Nectar" under darker nudes that have more of a brown undertone.

Line - Seeing people with lipstick gathering around the edges or bleeding outside the lines is such a tragic sight, but luckily it's easy to avoid. Lining your lips and even filling them in with a lip liner closely resembling (it doesn't have to be a perfect match) your lipstick makes it last longer and prevents your color from bleeding at the edges. NYX's Suede Matte Liner is the most inexpensive brand that I have tried that is still of great quality.

Fair skin doesn't have to prevent you from finding great lip colors to suit every occasion, and it doesn't have to break the bank either. Take this list and go from here to find shades that suit your beautiful self!